What's new
What's new

Stuck choke

Clyde22-250

Plastic
My son Got a choke started in his Benneli shotgun about halfway and got it stuck. It is not cross threaded and probably has junk in threads.I put a heating pad on barrel and ice pack on choke and got it to move some.Should I try this again using dry ice? I'm thinking ice pack is not cold enough. You guys see any problems with this,or I'm open for suggestions.

If you have access to a lathe you can lightly chuuck the reciever end of the barrel(may want to use soft jaws).Fix you a jig that is the same width as your choke wrench that you can chuck up in your tailstock. Slide the choke wrench you built into the choke and tighten a little. Leave lathe in neutral,grab the chuck by hand and give it a twist.The weight of chuck and the tool not being able to back out should do the trick.

popwarlick

Clyde,
Just wondering if you successfully removed the choke without damage to the barrel threads? If so, how did you do it?

I have removed chokes that wouldn't budge, but never one that started and then froze.

Rick

Brownells makes a choke removal tool. I have used it and it works. By chance did you shoot steel through a full choke? I did that once in a Beretta 303. The steel expanded the choke and it was hell to get out. The choke was ruined but the barrel was okay. My thoughts are the choke can be cheaply replaced. The barrel is a different matter.

Grits

If you have tried everything and still can't get the choke out you have to make a decision. Send it to the manufacture or take the plunge. The choke obviously is the less expense to replace. If you decide to tackle the beast. Put the barrel in a V block and take a 1/4 inch endmill and bore a hole completely through the choke. Then take some masking tape to the receiver end of the barrel. Insert the recever end into a 4 jaw lathe chuck. slide the tail stock with a center in to the choke just tight enough for support of the barrel. Insert a phillips headed screwdriver into the hole in the choke. Turn the lathe chuck by hand (in the removal direction). If it still does not move bump the screwdriver handle with a mallet (not to hard now). You should have gotten any stuck choke loose by now. If not you may have to machine it out and rethread the barrel. Be sure to keep your customer aware of each step you are taking and explain his options.
Rustystud

Sorry guys, haven't had time to really fool with it yet. Squirted Kroil in it about an hour ago.Will see what that does tomorrow afternoon. ALL suggestions sound good to me. Thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes. Jeff

heat...warm heat not HOT heat....an oven a heater whatever, that and kroil are your best bets...I have soaked the end of a barrel from mossberg in kroil for a week and still couldnt budge it same ghoes for a Remington 1100 barrle...both eventually went back to the factory . Mossberg gave me a whole new camo barrel and choke!!! remington got the tube out and gave me a new one...both no charge...I sent my benelli SBE back as well they got it out but it cost me $35... that what happens when you hunt salt water alot without taking the choke out regularly......

ToolmakerJim,Haven't took the time to fool with barrel yet.Will let you guys know of the outcome when it happens.Thanks again

Tried to break it loose last night using Kroil method. I didn't have any luck. Will probably do one of the lathe methods mentioned earlier when time permits. Thanks

Back