What's new
What's new

Chamber Reamers-Live Pilot or Solid Pilot

Grits

Stainless
With accuracy as my goal, how advantageous is it to use reamers with a live pilot instead of reamers with a solid pilot? I understand why a live pilot that is bushed to fit the bore exactly should be the most accurate; however, from a practical standpoint, how much difference does it make?

Here are a couple of examples. I plan on building a 7x57 on a M70 action with a #3 taper barrel. I will use a Hart or Shilen Select Match grade blank. I want the rifle accurate but in reality, it will be a two hundred yard deer rifle. A few hundredths in the group does not matter but a half inch does.

The second will be a 6.5 STW bean field rifle. I will use either a 70 or 700 action with a #5 or #6 taper. I will use the same quality of barrel mentioned above. I want this rifle to be as accurate as practically possible.

How close would you match the rotating bushing? Is it worth buying the nine bushing set for one caliber for $90 to get it within a tenth or two of the bore size?

Even though this is my hobby, I strive to build my projects as accurate as possible. To me, time is not a factor, perfection is. that is why I do it.

To make all this simple, do piloted reamers make a noticeable difference in cutting a rifle chamber in a sporter (non benchrest rifle)?

Thank you for your advise.

Grits

The closer the pilot to the center of the bore the more accurate chambering job. That's why a live pilots used by bench rest gunsmiths.
Both work just as well for sporting rifles.
I have both live center and solid chamber reamers in my shop.
In fact the first time I used a live pilot reamer was to chamber a 98 with a Paker-Hale bull barrel that the bore was .309
CEW

My vote is for piloted reamers, but I'm one of those BR guys. You might consider renting the reamer and pilots. Or, you can probably borrow pilots from someone to do a "one time" job.

It also greatly reduces the chance of chatter with the proper fit. The bushing sets come it .0002" incriments from the nominal bore. Select one the is snug, but doesn't bind.

Hey Grits:

If you are using a low presure heavy oil lubrication system and cuting at low RPMs a solid pilot will do just find if it fits the bore within .0005. If you are going to cut in the headstock at high RPMs then use a high- pressure flush system and a piloted reamer fitted to .0002. I cut all my chamers now with piloted reamers. You can send any make or model solid piloted 22 cal or larger reamer to PT&G and they will convert it to a piloted model for about $35.00.
Rustystud

In Ya'lls opinion, who makes the best reamers and gives the best service. Everything I do is for me or my friends. I plan on putting together a collection. When I need a particular caliber, I will buy it. I hope my children and grandchildren (if I have any) like gun stuff.

Is it important to stick with one manufacturer? Do the pilots interchange between any manufactures?

Grits

Grits:

Dave Kiff at PT&G gives me great reamers and great service. Dave Manson does a good job as well. Donald at Clymer does a good job.

Rustystud

hope my children and grandchildren (if I have any) like gun stuff.

GRITS...HOPE U HAVE NETTER LUCK THAN I did ....9 g/children & all they care abt is sports ,TV & looking "cool" ..no one to leave the shop to that cares ...& several of them have "good hands" & plenty spatial .mech. abilities ....sad!.... big auction coming some day ..........

best wishes
docn8as

Thats it. I,am moveing to Alvaton KY. Maybe I can get adopted by doc. PT&G, Masion and JGS pilots will enterchange, Clymer used to use a longer pilot (at least they did on there center reamer)
don't know if they still do as have not order from them in a wile.

My vote is for Hugh Hendricksen. I don't care for the cost of a Clymer pilots. They are around $24.00 a piece. Second would be Dave Kiff his pilots are at least half that price

Gritts:

They all have web sites. They all make good reamers, they all give good service. The reamer makers are a great bunch of guys. I am sorry that I can't give them all my business.I wish all gun related tooling shops were as good as the reamer makers.

Rustystud

JGS makes Real good reamers. A little bit more dollar wise than Kiff's. Also, Hugh doesn't have a website. Hugh worked for Keith Francis for years, before Kieth close-up shop.

The reason I use PT&G, is that he grinds a reamer to your specs, no extra charge. Try going to JGS and order a reamer, that you want a specific neck diameter, throat length, etc. They will charge you extra for each modification you make, something like 25 bucks each change. Did I mention that he delivers within a couple weeks? Try that with JGS.

That would make sense to me. Nobody ever checks the runout of their reamers. It's seem to me that not to many no how or even want to. If you look at a Solid Pilot reamer, the runout tolerance is almost Zero. Put a removable pilot on and instant runout. So if you need to check one put it between two dead centers and spin it with a needle on it. Your solid pilot won't move. Why is that?? It's ground between centers. Most of them are. Some are held in collets and ground with a dead center in the end. That removable pilot has to be ground separate from the reamer and has to slip onto the reduced pilot of your reamer. Just add it up! You want that reamer to slip into the barrel. Not press fit.

Back