What's new
What's new

legal low noise

donald_harby

Aluminum
I have a huge deer problem at my place. It is legal to shoot center fire rifle but I am close to town and don't want to make too much noise. I don't want to spend the time to use a bow either. My question is what is the best way to reduce noise legal? I was thinking a long barrel and subsonic. Any ideas on powder or loads?

Go with something like a .45-70 with 500 grain cast bullets. The heavy bullet will have good penetration even at low velocity. Trajectory won't be great but should work OK at short range.

Go black powder the sound is different and many people think it sound more like a car backfiring.

A 50 cal black powder rifle will drop a deer better then a 30-06 and makes a dull kerwhamp not a sharp crack. Go with a heavy bullet and a light powder charge and let the bullet do the work. Or go with a saboted bullet and a light powder charge.

How close can you get to the deer ?
A friend sat in loft in a barn where the deer would cross by shots were very close used a 22 hornet if memory serves me right. All dropped on the spot.
A 300 whisper would be a better choice shots are subsonic and you have some range...
300 whisper

Back