What's new
What's new

South Bend Fourteen info needed

harpy

Plastic
I have a chance to buy a South Bend Fourteen lathe. Does any one have or know where I can find info, specs, price range, etc.? Any one have any experience using this machine? Any input is welcome.

Harpy & Grits: You guys have any luck in your quest for info on the SB 14"? I ran into a guy who also has one he wants to sell. He says it has a three-phase motor w/phase converter. Lathe is factory mounted on it's own pan w/motor housing in the left leg & cabinet space on the right. Spindle & motor run off a flat belt. He says it is clean & well maintained. I do not know just what comes with it, but it does have a KDK Q-D tool-post & steady rest. Asking is $1,200. May go look later in the week or send one of my operatives who lives in the area to check it out.
Whadd'ya think???

I have owned two of these lathes. The vari-speed is kind of a tinker toy setup. The iron is good but the drive is a weak point.....

pwcosol ,i think you may have the Fourteen
confused w/ a sbl 14" lathe . The Fourteen was a
70's style lathe. ibelieve it had b.b. head
bearings , variable drive(split sheaves) and
other "modern" stuff . often sold very cheap,
i assume that most of them are worn out.
...sort of sb's answer to the Clausing 1200's .

Thanks, TC! Yes, the lathe is a fourteen inch swing. I saw the owner again today, and he had one photo of the headstock, chuck, and part of the bed. The picture didn't tell me what I wanted to know, however. It is something that I don't think I will need, buy my friend w/the SB nine-inch is looking for a bigger lathe. Sounds like the best advice would be (for him) to hang onto the nine for now & shop around...

Harpy

I received a manual from LaBlonde today. I have not had time to digest it yet. The machine is a variable speed and apears to have split sheaves. If I buy the machine I will use a VFD to utilize single phase power. I am curious as the the accuracy potential of this machine assuming it is in good condition. Is there a disadvantage with the type of bearings used in this machine? My sixty four dollar question was this a decent machine when it was new for light duty work? What would this machine be worth in nesr mint condition with very basic tooling?

Thanks everyone,

Grits

Back