What's new
What's new

DRO and CNC retrofit

fastolds

Hot Rolled
I have a SB 9" and want to put a DRO on it. Anyone done this with success?What model DRO did you use? How about converting over to a cnc?

Fastolds,

Sorry I can't help with your problem but one of the slickest DRO installations I ever saw was at IMTS in Chicago a few years back. One DRO manufacturer (forget who now) had theirs on a completely rebuilt (better than showroom condition) 9" SB. Highly polished brass knobs. It was really impressive.

Their pitch was something to the effect: "If we can put a DRO on this, we can put one on just about anything".

I'm sure that with a little creativity anything is possible.

I've thought about doing the same with mine, but have settled for a trav-a-dial for the time being.

Good luck to you.

Mark

I will get one after I get it back together. I got this from a guy who had it in his basement for the last 12 years or so and never used it. He put it in when he was building his house so thats why he had to take it apart to get it out.It's very clean and I got it for next to nothing. I just need to get a few things to make it as new again. I will be searching for parts soon.

A good friend bought two 2-axis DRO's from "Shooting Star" in November and added them to his 9" South Bend and 12" Clausing lathes. As installed the accuracy seems to be as claimed. He will visit my shop tomorrow, so i will ask him for details if you are interested.

For a classic like a SB- you need a pair of these:

http://www.apra37.dsl.pipex.com/travadial.htm

I "rescued" one when the family machine shop was auctioned. We bought a pair in the early 70's- I think they were around $500 each even then. given that electronics can do a better job for half the money, I was surprised that you can still buy them new and they are still gawdawful expensive. Usually a few on E-bay for reasonable amounts. I will strap my refugee on the Heavy 10's Z axis and live like a 70's machining god.

Bill

I would like to add the DRO but don't want to spend a fortune. I have an old unit that you can't get parts for so I was told. I have the readout but no scales. A company told me that I can't get anything else to work with this one.

Back