What's new
What's new

motor retrofit

It doesn't sound practical. 15 HP @746 watts / HP = 11,180 watts @ 100% efficiency On 230 VAC that is 49 amps. General rule of thumb says motor will draw 6 times nameplate current momentarily while starting or about 300 amps. You would have to have a pretty heavy duty electrical service to have that available.
Isn't the original motor flange mounted to the headstock? I don't know if anyone ever made a 15 HP, 230 VAC, single phase flange mounted motor. You might have a chance to rig something with a smaller motor. I am not familiar with a 1958 model, maybe that was belted.

Hi, Fish,

You can make your own phase converter from another 15 HP motor.

Just connect your single-phase wires to two of the three wires on the converter motor, then attach the three wires from the three-phase motor to the three wires on on the converter motor.

Then, all you need to do is give the converter motor a little spin, and the whole works will start up

The 15 HP driven motor doesn't need to be running for this to work..

Good Luck!

BG

I'd keep the original motor on there if I could at all. I have a #4, It was wired for 220V 3 phase when I bought it. so I just matched wire size to the old pigtail & didn't check to see what was even on the nameplate of the motor....

I do know the motors from W & S lathes do not fall short on brute torque.

It's nothing for The #4 to reduce the diameter of a 5" CRR Grade 1045 by 1/2" in a single pass, using TNMG 544 inserts.

One other note: When originally hooked up I ran it from a 7 1/2 HP rotary converter that wasn't even balanced with run caps. It started & had plenty of guts even at that.

Back