What's new
What's new

Electrocycle

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
Well, in a moment of weakness I bought an Electro-cycle turret lathe, well tooled, low hours... lots of dust and spider webs. Does anyone have any information on this little jewel.

Cyclotronguy

Believe it or not, these machines were built with, or without, spindle speed and direction of rotation controls on a box at the end of the ram slide, in addtion to on the headstock. How was yours built?

Jack Ubersax

It is exactly because of the box of microswitches and misc relay logic at the end of the slide that I bought this machine.... shades of Willy Wonka!

This was clearly a very deluxe, and very high tech machine back when it was new. I'll get photos of it this weekend.

Now, I'm looking for something to make on this little cutie.... and some history.

Cyclotronguy

This weekend I spent a couple of hours on the Electrocycle (M2400).... arrrrgh!

Something electrical isnt making up. Have the right flavor of 3Phase to the machine, I have control votages as expected..... nothing powers up... even when I switch from "Auto" to "Manual". Looking for a bad switch somewhere.

Cyclotronguy

You lucky pup,
I saw an electro M2400 on Surplus Record two years ago and passed it up because it was three states away and shipping was more than the machine. Shoulda' got it any way...

Lucky pup indeed. I make on occasion some large turnbuckle affairs for an agricultural firm. The screws used to take me about 45 minutes on the manual 24" X 120" Chinese lathe, with tool changes and etc. About 5 min on the electrocycle.
I made almost OK money at 45 min / ea..... at 5 min each I have a little room to breath.

When the electrocycle isn't running that job, I can still run it fully manual for facing, center-drill, drill and cut-off; quick as a bunny for even those one-off's that I will finish off on another machine.

The electrocycle, big shaper and HBM... they don't run very often; they do however pay for their upkeep, and then some.

Cyclotronguy

If you want another one Mohawk Machinery in Cincinnati, Ohio has one. Looked it over a month or two ago when I visited them. Looks to be in good shape and I think you could probably get it for $500 or less. it has a Navy tag on if if I remember correctly.

Back