What's new
What's new

Any $$$ in this material? Offer?

Mortgaged

Aluminum
I've been watching this for too long at work and would like to at least make an attempt to do something worthwhile with this "scrap" material. We have a sliding head stock swiss machine that creates approx 20 huge barends per day. These are currently dumped with the machine chips as scrap. I can't possibly store anymore in my limited home shop space for that rainy day when I'll need them! ;)

The material is 1144 fully annealed, eddy current inspected, 19.5 ±0.0125mm precision OD Ground, 12 to 15" long, one end chamfered. Condition is clean with oil residue. I have material specs and heat certs if needed.

If you are seriously interested contact me by email and we can work something out. I won't "save" these for free but I am cheap! Thanks.

I'd pay $10. plus shipping for as many as would fit in a USPS flat rate box. Should be able to get my money's worth on shipping that way!

Lets see, flat rate priority box is 8.10 + 10.00 = $19.10 so you could round up to a box delivered for $20.00 even dollars. Problem though. Flat rate box may be too short...

Just checked at USPS.com
13.625" x 11.875" x 3.375" is the flat rate box size that might work for all but the longest ones.

Anyway I would send you $20.00 for a box of em delivered.

Apparently there's some interest! Ok, to answer a few questions:

1. I will look into a flat rate box. However the USPS in Grand Rapids is a mess and I won't stand in line for 30+ minutes to ship $10 worth of bars. Has to be fedex ground as it's a short hop from where I work and a 1 minute drop off.

2. Approximate bar weight: 12" = 1.5 lbs, 15" = 1.8 lbs. I would ship from zipcode 49512 if you would like to calculate actual shipping cost on FEDEX.com.

3. 1144 is free machining in the fully annealed state. It's almost in the leaded steel range for ease of machining. Hardenable to Rc 47-63 with minimal distortion after hardening and tempering.

4. I need to determine cost/bar. I'll make a few practice runs at $2.50/bar to see if it's worth it. Let me know if you want to be a guinea pig!

You can go to USPS.com and order all the fixed rate priority boxes you want for free. No standing in line.

Your presently scrapping em at what .10 per bar? Now you want $2.50 per bar for drops in unknown lengths from 12 to 15"s? Interest just rode off into the sunset.....

Sorry to hear you're not interested JL. I realize they aren't free, but by the time I retrieve them from the chip gons, clean the oil residue and chips off, wrap, box and tape for shipment, drive to Fedex or USPS and drop them off, pay my percentage to Paypal, etc. etc. I'll be making approximately $2 on a $10 sale. I'm not looking to get rich here, just trying to help someone out while reducing waste at the same time.

The USPS free boxes are easy to obtain but you still need to wait in line to pay for it. In contrast I can process a complete order online with Fedex, print the shippers and manifest, drop the boxes at Fedex and never wait for anyone. Based on my experience, it works the best for me.

I can understand that too. Surely there is a middle ground where you make money and yet buyer gets a good deal. A box full for $10 may be too cheap but $2.50 a bar I suspect wouldn't move.

I dont think Fedex can get close to the shipping rate on say 20 bars at weighing 30 lbs even. What if folks would pay $30.00 for 20 bars shipped anyway you wanted to ship em. That might work, I dunno. You should be netting close to $20 everytime you did it.

On shipping, I would take Paypal and then use Paypal to pay/print labels for USPS online. Then call your PO and theyll pickup whatever you have. No waiting in line for anything. Just another idea on shipping.

My guess is you'll decide to not be in the raw materials selling business anyway. You expect to make a profit on cleaning and packaging and that usually kills this type thing. ;)

As JL suggests, I'd send a check for $30 to get 20 bars shipped any way you want. FedEx ground from you to me is listed on the website as $8.00, so the price for me seems to be a dollar a bar.

Pete

I am interested. Let me know.

Where are you in Michigan? I have a friend who drives from Wisconsin to Detroit pretty often and if it was on the way he would pick it up.

Greg

I will do some homework with the USPS to see how many bars I can fit in one of the flat rate boxes. As I was going through the material to fill a couple orders I found that 30 to 40% of the bars are 10-12" in length and they would easily fit in the flat rate box. The longer bars will need to be shipped Fedex or I'll have to limit the qty. Give me a day or two to get this figured out and I'll post an update.

If you want me to be a guinea pig, you can ship a few bars to me on my Fedex acct, sent via ground service. USPS flat rate box is definetly most cost effective. My PO has a machine I mail my flat rate boxes from after hours w/ no line to wait in.

PM me, or otherwise I'll watch this thread.

Mark

With USPS you can use paypal to print the label. At that point you tape the label to the box, covering everything but the barcode (or you use sticky labels from UPS.com but you chop the bottom part off that says UPS USE ONLY...I didn't recommend that)

After you have a box with postage, you walk in to the post office, hand them to someone at the counter (without waiting in line), say, outgoing, and walk away.

Nice and easy. If you have a shipping store of any sort, they should also take them.

-Jacob

The $8.10 flat rate box is a bargain for anything over 15lbs. I tested one box and was easily able to load 20 bars with plenty of room leftover even with the long bars. Total weight: 28lbs!

Terms:
Each bar will have a minimum length of 10".
$2.00 each for qty: 10-40 bars
$1.75 each for 41+ bars (up to USPS max 70lbs)
+ $8.10 flat rate USPS box.

Sorry, no personal pickups or deliveries.
E-mail or PM only if interested as I can't monitor this site on a frequent basis.

I won't apologize for the price as I could make more money flipping burgers. I dropped from $2.50 each due to shorter bar lengths. I know the quantity discount math doesn't make sense so don't flame me for it!

I won't apologize for the price as I could make more money flipping burgers.
I could make $100 an hour with em at my suggested price easily shipping 6 sets of 20 an hour for anybody that wanted em. But thats just me and I ship stuff regularly. Burger places paying that where you are?

Just funnin with you. I hope you sell all you want at that price. No apologies required by the way and good luck. ;)

As a note Mortgaged My mail man will pick things like this up at the door and I leave him the money for the shipment. I Love it no trip Just a note to let him no what is going on.
David

you can also print out a lable online, tape it onto the box, and just drop it at the commercial drop at your post office.. no waiting in line....

Back