What's new

Cushman 8" 3-jaw scroll chuck, A6 mount

Ferrous Antiquos

Titanium
Offering up a Cushman model 8236A6 manual scroll chuck, with:

Cross-key type master jaws,
2.00" through hole,
integral A-1 mounting (fits A-2 also).

Comes with one set of used steel top jaws, but no chuck key. Was just refurbished by me, and works great. If I had a lathe to fit it, I wouldnt be selling.

Any offers before it's bound for the 'bay?
Weighs a good 35 lbs, shipping from zip 11803.

Bumping myself back up, this time with some pics.

faceview.jpg

backmount.jpg

Bernard,

Those are not camlock holes.
What looks like "keyholes" are really a big tapped hole (guessing 5/8-18 maybe) with a smaller 5/16-24 IIRC right next to it.

You can mount it directly from the face with the 3 bolts, or from the backside of a flanged type spindle.

I'm pretty sure it's an A1-6 (A2-6) mount, as it has the appropriate taper in the back.

I put about 4-5 hours into this thing, cleaning, lapping (on a Lapmastermachine), stoning, grinding, assembly etc. It works very smoothly.
The scroll and pinions are in good shape, as are the master jaws. Only serious wear is to the inside of the body, where chips must have gotten into the scroll and scored the softer chuck body.

I have pics of the innards before assembly, if you'd like to see them.

How does $75 plus shipping sound?
It weighs about 45lbs boxed up with the top jaws.
Zip 11803. Can go UPS.

Ferrous - I have one just about exactly like that. It is a D1-6, yours is missing the pins and lock screws. I think it might also be able to be mounted with the 3 center holes to an A6 spindle but I don't have an A6 machine or the specs to compare.

PS - $75 is way too cheap. Jump on it guys.

Ferrous, I agree you are too low. I just sold a 5inch cushman on ebay for $125. It was in nice shape, but looked half as good as yours.

my wheels don't slow me down

It really is a fair price and if it is A1-6 I would be interested. I do think however that it may be a D mount with the recess and (3) screw hole pattern like the one I have. Mine is stamped D6 and if it were meant to be an A1-6 as well, I think it would have been stamped as such.

Anyone out there know for sure on this?

Bernard

FYI the A and D share a common taper. Removing the camlock studs from a D would give you a perfectly serviceable A.

Notice the A-2 style through bolts are on the smaller diameter to not interfere with the D pins.

Even though the part description says A6, indicating it might be for an A1-6 or A2-6 spindle, the back plate really looks like some kind of threaded mount with a precision pilot, before the rust got to it. Also, there are no holes for the through-bolts needed to attach it to an A type nose.

You really ought to pose this question in the general section as a new topic - get more opinions.

Damonfg - I had read that the taper on the A series and D series were similar, but did not realize they were interchangable?

I am particularly curious about this, as D series chucks are easy to find, but my A1-5 mount is not so common. If you are correct, I can simply find a good d1-5 and take the pins out?

Back