What's new
What's new

starrett steel

tasboxer

Plastic
For Sale: a couple of pieces of starrett No.496 ground steel, one 2" x 6" X 18" $200 +Shipping The other is 5/16 x 6 x 36 $50 +Shipping. Both pieces never out of wrapper. Will weigh it if anyone is interested and ship it the cheapest way possible

Hey Tasboxer,
let me know how you made out.
I have about 4K worth of Starrett flat stock
and I cant sell it @ 25% plus shipping.

Thought I had gold...now its an anchor.
I'll keep it for less.
thanks
BT

It does seems strange that no one would want to save over 50% . Someone is paying full price for it or they wouldn't be making it but as soon as you sell it everyone will want it(and be willing to pay more).Its better to save it for a rainy day than give away.

I agree, I'll hold on to my 600lbs. worth over $4000, NEW...in the wrapper. And all I wanted was $1000. I've had offers for 1 or 2 pieces. But I'll keep it I guess. ;)

We buy and use flat stock sometimes, and we have a rack with four shelves with at least a 100 pieces of flat stock out to 4" wide and some pieces upto 2" thick( but in combo). and I would surely buy some stock to save the money but i would ever buy the whole lot....In that case Id have to buy stock sizes I know I would never use to get a savings on the stock I do use, and thus its a wash... and easier to just order new...plus if its not square and straight I can send it back...yes I have bought STARRET that tapered from end to end and wasnt square either!.....not common but it happens......Bob

Not trying to offend anyone, but I use some of this ground tool steel in mold repair. My local supplier runs specials on it every so often, I just got another sales flyer in the mail yesterday for 55% off. At that price I will buy some sizes I know I can use fairly soon. Like dvice, I would love to buy a bunch of it, but just can't afford to tie up money in sizes I can't use. So I just buy what I need when it's on sale.

No offense taken by me.
I got a deal on the steel so I grabbed it.
I thought I was going to be building
progressive tooling in my shop and be rich.

Turns out I'm customizing the cars in the neighborhood for beers.

There isn't much flat ground A-2 .75 thick on an ole roadster. I use it occasionally but I know the value...I thought it should have sold for 25%
at least.

thanks
BT

Sometimes figuring the resale value of something is tricky. I see machinery parts or tools sell on ebay for almost new price, sometimes more! Then again a friend of mine bought some brand new big 1" and 1-1/4" bimetal bandsaw blades for cheap and figured he could resell them on ebay as they were over $100 ea. new and he only wanted to get $10 ea. for them. Worth it even if you had to cut the length down to fit your saw. He hasn't sold a single blade and is talking about scrapping them. What we figure is that a company big enough to have a saw that takes that big of a blade can afford to just order what they need when they need it, and not jack around looking for a deal. And the homeshop, bottomfeeder guy (like me) that would buy something like that because of the good deal, can't afford that big of a saw anyhow. Kind of a catch-22. Good luck with the ground stock, it's handy stuff to have around!

If I need a piece of precision ground flat stock, I get some tool steel from the shelf and throw it on the Blanchard grinder.
Me too - if I need a piece I'll grab something from Les' shelf and run it through his grinder. :D

Actually, most of the stock listed is just too damn big for most folks, and the folks for whom it isn't are too big to be looking on eBay for stuff they need tomorrow. Barry's friend with the big bandsaw blades might do better by trying to fond some shops locally who need them and selling or trading there.

My stuff isn't as big as Tasboxer's.
I have mostly 1/2x4...3/8X3...O-1, A-2 , D-2.
The stuff you need for small toolmaking. I did jewlrey work here in New England.
So I did my designing based on high speed
stamping, progressive stuff like electrical contacts, some automotive connectors.

Its all Plate - stripper - punchholder materials.
Thanks anyway
BT

BT, I have a thought. :eek:

My friend who does my wire edm work is a one man shop. He does some intricate progressive dies and such. He goes through a bit of precision ground stock.

Have you tried looking up anybody like that out your way?

Les

Yeah I ran it around here too Les.
You get alot more exposure on the internet though.

I have really given up hope of selling it.
I just can't get it in to my thick skull
that nobody wants it!

Thanks anyway
BT

BT- I have a sure way of finding 7 guys that want it. Scrap it. By next month you'll have 4 emails and 3 local guys wanting to know if you still have it. Happens to me everytime.

those sizes you listed 1/2x3 and 3/8x4 seem really odd in A-2 and D-2...both steels that usually end up as cutting tools. It would seem that the punch blocks and strippers plates and parts of dies would use the o-1 if not just low carbon, but I could'nt see using A2 and D2 for that kind of stuff....we stock some D2 but it is no bigger than 1/2x1....bob

Exactly, I used the D-2 as a cutter plate or
die cavity (not striking). I also used the A-2 as
punches. I'm talking about progressive stamping tooling that gets pretty expensive.

Its designed for long term high speed production.
You can't use O-1 for cutter plates, and expect any tool life. I used O-1 for punch holders. I even had extreme cases where I've hardened the
O-1 punch holder to maintain accurate clearences.

I used the L/C but only when the job didn't warrent the expensive materials. Hell I even made cheap stuff (proto-type) out of water hardening.

Its to expensive for the home shop guys, I can't use in my shop. Not much call for it on Hot Rods!

Thanks
BT

I use quite a bit of A2 in my die sets simply because I get it cheap. I pay anywhere from .50-$1.30 per pound.
I recently had to make a new punch holder and didn't happen to have the size I needed on the shelf. I called one supplier and he wanted what worked out to $5.30/lb for the 1-1/2X5X8" piece. I went to my other source and got it for $1.30/lb.

I actually got an 18" long piece and threw it on the saw and ended up with a 10" remnant to put on the shelf for a total cost of $65. Just the 8" piece from the other supplier would have been over $200. :eek:

I use A2 where I could use CR or HR just because it is cheap and clean.

Les

salvage/scrap/surplus tool steel marketing is a crapshoot at best considering the going rates and the recent volatility in the market with small lots. I guess even the suppliers are having a hard time swallowing the inventory costs right now and looking to cut their ongoing costs by sacrificing some profit just to get the stuff moved. there is some ongoing and rising activity in the home-made and custom-made knife and cutter market with a lot of knife-grade-materials sales going on to the casual hobbyist and the small-shop tinkerers etc. If you have bar-stock materials like A2, S7, D2, or even A1 and 01 grades in the sizes for forging or grinding knife blades or even specialty types of things like a brushblade, jaws or inserts for a bolt cutter, or other stuff that the homebrew market seems to attract, you might get some activity by advertising your stuff on these bulletin boards. they look for bargains like everybody but they also have word-of bulletin-board activity if you have something hot in their market. they buy everything from stock ATS34, 52100, and D2 to old saw blades so its a chancy market but its there for what its worth. the advertising is free but for the time it takes to post so not much $ to lose for the market trial. )f course, I sure would appreciate a nice cut of the $ if you sell a batch. I'll just wait here for the checks to start rolling in.

So just adding a useless comment will
return this post back to the top of the list?

Gee... :D

Pile of ground stock still available.
Email for details!
Thanks
BT ;)

Back