What's new
What's new

WTB: Clausing 5914 Taper Attachment

lazlo

Diamond
Hi,

I'm looking for the Clausing 7699 telescoping taper attachment for a Clausing 59xx series lathes.

Thanks!

Robert

Robert

Just a friendly tip that the 5914's taper attachment requires a special (different from standard) cross-slide leadscrew, which has a very small internal spline (not easily duplicated).

You will definitely want to get this part with the rest of the taper attachment, but it's not immediately obvious until you get into the nuts & bolts.

-Matt

the 5914's taper attachment requires a special (different from standard) cross-slide leadscrew, which has a very small internal spline (not easily duplicated).
Thanks Matt -- I'm aware of the splined crossfeed leadscrew. The female spline goes ~3 inches inside the telescoping acme section -- I'm really curious how Clausing broaches a 6 sided spline in a blind shaft.

The existing Clausing crossfeed leadscrew is made of a soft steel alloy and wears pretty quickly -- assuming they use the same metal in the taper leadscrew, I wonder if Clausing just expects you to replace the splined screw assembly every couple of years...

"I'm aware of the splined crossfeed leadscrew"

Very Good. As you may have guessed, my cross-slide leadscrew was worn to nearly a "sharp V" profile in the center.

I too have no idea how that tiny splined hole is made, best guess is a broach or series of broaches.

Anyway, I deemed it beyond my capabilities and wanted to be cutting metal and so bit the bullet from Clausing. I try to keep it very well lubed and pay close attention to keep swarf from entering the ball-bearing oiler.

-Matt

How bad did they hit you for the new leadscrew? I have a taper attachment i am thinking about pulling off a 5914 as it is duplicated on another larger machine. Problem is I suspect either the crossfeed nut has issues or the feed screw will be tearing into it next week and find out.
Dave

I will be pulling that one off either this weekend or the first of the week when i clean the machine up. Will have a good idea of the condition of what i have if you can hang loose till then. I would hate to represent it for something it isn't..
Dave

The 6900 14" clausing taper attachment is the same as the 5900 except it has a different cover because the 14" compound is wider and the x-feed screw is different(longer).

I never heard back from Dave, so I'm still looking for a Clausing taper attachment.

As Tom points out the Clausing 6900 taper attachment would fit, as would the 6300's taper attachment (with some modifications).

I'd even take an incomplete taper, if anyone knows of one :D

Believe it or not still need to pull it off and check it out for you. my bride decided i was not the one for her a few months ago so have had a lot going on here and not able to get to it. Things calming down now so can get back to more serious stuff LOL
Dave

I have a taper attachment i am thinking about pulling off a 5914 as it is duplicated on another larger machine. Problem is I suspect either the crossfeed nut has issues or the feed screw will be tearing into it next week and find out.
Dave, have you ever had a chance to take a look at your taper attachment?

I'd be interested even if the splined screw and/or nut is toast.

Thanks,

Robert

Hey fellas,
Not to butt in here, but I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about the hydraulic or drive system on the 5914? I've heard they can be "leaky" systems (if I recall correctly), and I was wondering if anyone would mind taking the time to give me their opinion on this lathe?
I MIGHT have one in my sights in the future, and I'm just trying to get educated on this lathe a bit.
It seems the lathes.uk site has zero information on the 5914... Thanks for any help fellas. Email or PM me is fine...

As the post of Feb 24 says about my bride etc. been 16 hour days here buying my house yet again.. sigh.. ok enough soap opera stuff but finishing a small project and will get to it as the cash will be needed anyway. Hate to stall but has been a long very uphill trip.. It is leaving and rather sell it here than e-bay as I know you guys are real. I suspect it is only the nut as the kit I bought new did not have one and it is the only used part and don't have 200 hours on the machine since install. The hydraulics are a bit problimatic but mostly simple things, o-rings bushings etc. I do like mine. If they made a 14-16 inch like it I would be an owner..
Dave

Not to butt in here, but I was wondering if anyone here could tell me about the hydraulic or drive system on the 5914?
I've got a 5914 and it can be expensive to fix with new parts if there are serious problems with the motor or countershaft pullies. On mine, a key in the motor pulley had sheared off and a replacement pulley was $700 or so from Clausing. Most owners with similar problems elect to convert to VFD and step pullies or repair the damaged pulley. Damage can occur to the pulley if a Delrin sleeve isn't replaced periodically and one symptom of that damage is excessive wobble in the threaded shaft that protrudes from the end of the pulley out through the headstock pedestal.

I haven't had any problems with hydraulic leaks. The cylinder seal(s) on the drive side can be replaced cheaply with components from Clausing or bearing houses. I don't know about the speed control hub side as I've never had that apart. Motion Industries made up a hydraulic hose for my similarly driven Clausing 8540 mill for about half ($50?) of what Clausing charges for the hose. Clausing will sell you a pretty complete manual for $25 or so.

On the whole I've been quite happy with the lathe. The flame hardened ways seem to hold well and some of the more common replacement parts are still available from Clausing at reasonable to moderately high prices. There are enough of them around that finding accessories isn't impossible although it can take a bit of patience, especially for things like the taper attachment that is the subject of this thread.

It's not in the same league as Monarch or Hardinge, but the quality of my hobby work went up dramatically when it replaced a Craftsman 12x36 lathe that was in above average condition.

There's a Yahoo Clausing group, so you might want to browse the archives there if a search here leaves you wanting for more info.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike,
Yes, I've cruised the Clausing group before, and it seems most of their info is geared towards the 8520 mill, but there may be another "Clausing" group more geared towards the lathe(s). I'll check into it...

Back