What's new
What's new

Metal coloration

oregonclockmaker

Aluminum
I'm looking, for lack of a better word, a paint with some unusual properties.

What I'd like is really more of a stain for metal. The best thing I can describe is a layout fluid that a local community college is using - it's a deep, dark red, but like all layout fluid you can still see the metal surface underneath. What I'd like is that colored translucent effect, but with something a bit more durable/permanent!

I've tried various bake-on finishes, and they're certainly durable enough for the purpose, but they all look like paint. I want a deep, rich color but not opaque.

Any ideas?

-=[ Grant ]=-

What kind of metal are you attemting to color? Metal by nature does not take well to being "stained". Surface coatings like paint, powder coating, etc. are about your only option for a full rainbow of colors, or the various bluing and plating surfaces that can be applied, however colors are very limited, costs are high, and chemicals involved can wipe out a small third world country.

Aluminum can be annodized to a finish greatly replicating what you are talking about, but steel cannot.

there are p-c apparatus which go for <$200 .
i don't know if they 'll do the finish you want-
but they will powder coat . from what i've heard,
they work ok.
i think h-f or northern had one for about $100.

Grant- since you are in Oregon, you are near the company that makes the widest range of cool powder coat colors and textures- Prismatic.
http://www.nicindustries.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=2

Yes,you can powder coat stuff in your home shop- but the results are variable. Especially with fancy colors like this, which often require 2 or even 3 coats.
A decent powder coating company will easily have $100,000 in equipment, if not more. In house sandblasting, automated dip lines for pretreatment, accurately temperature controlled ovens with no drafts or hot spots, and the experience to do it right.
You can indeed buy a powder gun from Eastwood or Harbor Freight for 100 bucks or so.
And the pros will have paid $2500 to $5000 for theirs. You think theres no difference? Then there must be no difference between a Harbor Freight lathe and a Monarch 10EE either.

There are a hundred ways to screw up powdercoating- from not prebaking aluminum castings to get rid of moisture, to missing those invisible fingerprints that show up under the clearcoat.

Hire a pro, you will be much happier. Call Prismatic, and ask who they recommend in your area.

What kind of metal are you trying to color. If it is steel you can use copersulfate and it will have a copper look to it. The early machinists used it before dykem came about.

Read the labels on shellac and some of the polyurethanes in the paint section of home depot. Some of them say they can be used on stone, metal, wood, etc...

Thanks for the help!

(To those who asked: I intentionally did not mention the metal type because there will be a mix of metals - stainless and Al - that need to match. I knew that if I specified the metals, there would be those who'd ignore the "must match" requirement and recommend things that weren't suitable. Hence, my request for a spray on, as opposed to chemically reactive or electrolytical, finish.)

-=[ Grant ]=-

Back