What's new
What's new

Anyone driven long-haul trucks?

jburstein

Hot Rolled
I've got a school project where I need to design a device to make life in a sleeper cab more comfortable for older drivers (~60 or so). I need to do some research on what drivers need, so I've got two requests:

1) if you've driven a truck and you can you tell me what kind of things you think might help out older drivers please let me know.

2) If you have any suggestions of places online or within driving distance (20-50 miles) of Pittsburgh, PA where I can find this info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

-Justin

You weren't getting many responses so I called my retired truck driving father and ....... in no particular order

1. Bathroom
2. Younger female co-driver
3. Massage/vibrating/thermal bed
4. BC or Goodies dispenser
5. Beer tap

The bathroom and beer tap we had on our list. We're working on it. We might have to resort of an in truck Keggerator. Not sure how our sponsors would feel about adding a "younger female co-driver" package to the lineup.

I don't know what you mean by #4 though.

-Justin

"I don't know what you mean by #4 though."

Headache powders I think. Anything else I can think of is just reinventing the wheel.Such as- stereo,refridge,microwave,potty,tv, etc. Can't really think of anything that hasn't been done.Sorry.

Allen

Over 60?
How about a catheter so they can get a full nights sleep?
Pete

I guess BC or Goodies kind of dates me and identifies my region. I think it's more of a souther thing. They are basically ground up aspirin. Got to take with a slug of water, tastes like crap but works very fast for headaches, back aches, and they now have a sinus one that works real fast.

Hi Justin,

My son-in-law works on diesel trucks. My daughter helps with some or all of the paper work.

She was telling me about a rig that the owners had removed the sleeper and replaced it with a section of an RV. I think they had to lengthen the chassis. She commented that it had a bathroom and small kitchen. This along with the bedroom.

I did not see it just passing on information she relayed to me.

IIRC she did comment that they used this rig to haul (horses and equipment) to rodeos.

If there isn't 20 truck stops within 25 miles of Pittsburgh, Your in the wrong state. Although 60 years old is thinning the sample a bit.

4. BC or Goodies dispenser
[/QUOTE

BC, Goody's & Stanback are all Aspirin-based products, with a good dose of Caffein added. They are packaged in small glassine envelopes. Richard Petty is/was the Spokesman for one of those brands. I think the sale of those products is mostly confined to the Southeastern states of the US. It is said that many people actually get hooked on them. I do remember, years ago, when I worked in a textile mill... Lots of the older workers took them like candy.. Open the pack, dump it down their throat, & chase it with a Coke...

Stanback...LMAO...forgot about that one. Right down the isle from the Lydia Pinkham Vegetable Compound...

I would be willing to bet you could get some ideas from RV catalogs (lotsa retireees drive those around all the time). Usually they camp at almost any WAl-Mart parking lot in the nation. If you want luxury in a small space, look at Yacht catalogs. Think DC, eh? Go to a truck stop and gawk at all the DC electronics and other things...maybe try a Loves truck stop. Better yet go to a sleazy one and order bacon and eggs...good luck!
OH, yeah, Tempurpedic mattress might make sleeping more comfy...also, make sure storage cabinets are not too high nor too low so they don't have to reach so much...lotsa discrete and tastefull hand-holds everywhere would help. Padded if possible...

The Holiday House in Monroeville would be a great place to start your search. Catch a show, hit the mall across the road, or enjoy a fine meal in the coffee shop.

Hey, I know.....A postcard pic of the Holiday House on your sunvisor!!!!

I'm assuming that you mean the sleeper itself, ie to make resting/sleeping in it more comfortable.

I always found sleepers either stuffy in cold weather (with little ventilation) or hot in hot weather (even with vents/windows open).

OK when you're young but not so good as you get older and need a bit of comfort.

What about a tiny air-conditioner?? Run from truck power or separate battery like an RV so there are no problems running the truck battery down overnight.

As far as the romance of the open road is concerned, read this;

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=104a84a1f62febd6cef2d569077da199;act=ST;f=17;t=129693

Ah, the romance, the adventure......

What about a tiny air-conditioner?? Run from truck power or separate battery like an RV so there are no problems running the truck battery down overnight.
That has been done as well; the best of them run off a seperate genset mounted on the framerail so you don't have to keep that big 15 liter engine running just for climate control.
Mark

In the immortal words of the Monty Python gang; Looxury!!

It's been a long time since I drove a truck.

In Queensland many many years ago, transporting cattle in a "road train", we just carried a rolled swag and threw it under the trailer each night.

Never rains at Thargominda; well, once every several years when it floods.

From a retired trucker the most important single item that hasn't been mentioned is a great mattress! When you go to bed, you need to get rested. I didn't discover what good mattress's were all about until I got older.
Michael

Back