What's new
What's new

Scraping class impressions

Forrest Addy

Diamond
The recent class was very successful. Ray was a wonderful host keeping us fed and entertained when we weren't sleeping or scraping. His vast shop and resources and his bulldog determination to pull this class off resulted in 18 or so people smarter in the topic of scraping and maybe forging a few lifelong friendships.

I thought I had a thorougly motivated class. Any roughness in a teaching plan developed from scratch certainly wasn't apparent if the week end's progress was any guide. There was a lot of interaction and experimentation. You guys were bold. You tried stuff. The more advanced people took a hand in working with the beginners and showing them what could be done. And by their example the most advanced illustrated to the momentarily baffled what could be done by application and hard work. Myself, I learned (and re-learned) many tricks. I judge the information passed was roughly double the content of my outline thanks to the cross pollination within the group. I couldn't screw up.

Let me not forget Steven Thomas, associate and partner in crime. I'd no more begin to speak on some refinement or other and, like a Genie from the bottle, Steven produced the wherewithal to make it or illustrate it from the Normandy beach-head store of plunder he hauled down from Elmira NY. Steven was there at every elbow when guidance was needful. All I had to do was limp around, look wise, and blab.

I think one reason why the scraping class was so successful is that no-one was working alone, wondering if he was doing it right. Right there on either side of the rankest beginner were others in the same boat and not far way were instant answers to questions. We learned a step at a time and even though we learned only a few baby steps of a whole trade, applications of the lessons learned and some subsequent practice will yield a life long knowledge if a manual skill.

Whatta weekend! Funny though. All you guys looked different than what I imagined. Except me of course.

Forrest.

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Congratulations to yourself, Stephen & Ray for putting it all together.
Whatta weekend! Funny though. All you guys looked different than what I imagined. Except me of course.
There was this rather good group photo, left in the original thread, from Steve’s site.

http://www.twincreek.com/scraper/sclass_photos_052.jpg

Do you want to nominate which one you are? My un-educated guess from this far away is the bib & brace cover all’s and white shirt. Any one else care to put names to those faces?

I’ve been meaning to ask. On Rob’s photo site, There’s this picture of a Diamond impregnated lap, not unlike the one you have described in the past. Complete with green 9 micron paste in the back ground. Is that your one, or a faithful copy?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/blackboat/Scraping%20Class/CFS008.jpg

The motor on that unit, has a resilient mount. Is that the preferred arrangement, or just a co-incidence of what was available at the time.

Best regards. Phil.

That's me on the right front with the bib overalls and the white T-shirt. Forrest is 4th from the left, back row, white T-shirt and dark suspenders. In the red shirt directly in front of Forrest is Steve from B'Ham, AL. Steven Thomas is on the extreme right.
I thoroughly enjoyed it all, the scraping lessons, the camaraderie, touring Ray's amazing shop, and I've always enjoyed Savannah.
Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank Ray for putting this on, and Forrest and Steven for their instructions and help. Also, I did get addtional help from others, my being in my first attempt at scraping, all help was needed and appreciated!
Dave
PS: The illustrious Don Thomas is 3rd from the right.

It's been my experience that whenever like-minded folks gather to further a common goal, things can run beautifuly. Here we had a collection of all types, in the main I'd say non-professional machinists, who were hot to discover things about a topic that there is only minimal documentation about, appears to be in the "dying art" category, and opinion seems to place it right up there with eye-of-newt and a cauldron for the uninitiated.

Yet, this group seemed to have a deep desire of gaining more knowledge of it, to further personal projects or to just de-mystify it. Some came from a lot further away than I would have thought.

You set up this kind of environment, and really, how could it not go well? Not to take anything away from those that made it happen.

This wasn't the insurance company mandated forklift training you had to send the shop crew to, where they don't want to be, because they know it all, and it's eff-ing up their break time too. No griping here, no bitching, just tell us whatever you want to, and can we go do it now?

This was a chance for all the closet scrapers to come out, and they arrived ready and it was a blast.

Only bitch I got? Shoud have been a couple of weeks. My muscles were getting a lot more into the groove by Sunday, wished we could have kept going.

Rob

I'd like to also thank everyone involved also especially those who remain annominous. It was a great time.
Thanks
Toad

Back