What's new
What's new

Turning down a mill chuck

Au

Plastic
Hi
I'm new to this forum so this is my first post. Very good forum. Some 30+ years i took my partnership as a toolmaker, but have not practice the trade for 30 years. Recently I got me a Warco WMT300 combined late & milling machine. I have a milling chuck with treaded mills that has some limitations.
I came across a milling chuck in good condition but the taper is wrong. I have 3MT taper in my machine. Any one that has tried to turn the taper on a chuck. I believe it is only case hardened or not? Than it should be possible to cut through the hardened surface?
Look forward to comments.

Most Morse tapers are soft, this is so the taper on the TOOL wears rather than the taper in the spindle, also it may make the tool "grip" better in the taper. I would look into simply changing the adaptor on the chuck rather than re-machining the one on there, a morse/jacobs arbor for a chuck is not terribly expensive, and while turning and bluing tapers is kind of fun, I would not spend the time to do it and re-mill the drive tang to save $15 us dollars :)

Bill

Thanks willbird
I aggrea but the chuck and the taper is made from one pice. I will try turning and bluing.

Back