What's new
What's new

Who needs scrap cast iron??

cruzinonline

Hot Rolled
I have a "piece" of scrap iron. We think its "white" iron cause it machines very hard. It's 32,000 lbs. I will ship to someone who wishes to buy for scrap. It's a roll about 30" diameter by 20' long. Local scrap dealers can't handle. Anyone got any ideas how I can get this off my hands? We have cranes so loading is no problem. Ideas??

First, I'd suggest loud hollering to get the crane operator's attention. Then, I'd suggest using an upwards nodding motion of your head to convey the idea that you want them to lift the roll off your hands. :D

How did the little bugger come to be in possession of CFS ?

Is it hollow? Just a thought, could it be broken up by a hammer on a track hoe? I have seen large machines broken up this way, to get them to managable size to scrap...

ITS SOLID.

Boss bought it at an auction, thought it was steel and at worst we could make something out of it.

Would be happy to load it on a truck and drop it off. Whats the weight worth at todays prices?

seems like an online scrap buyers search would be worth while. Is this off a paper machine? or what, can it be reused? this can be cut up with a carbon arc torch, if you get the chunks down to short iron size you can probably get $200 or more a ton, especially if you sell it direct to a foundry.

Maybe you could have a guy with an oxygen lance cut the thing up into more useable sizes. I have seen the lances at USS cut 6 to 8ft solid metal (cast iron) objects so 30" would be a breeze.

The lance is a homemade looking rig that involves approx. 1" pipe as the lance with a T connection and valve so fuel can be added to the oxygen for starting the reaction. Once the metal starts flowing in the cut the fuel is shut off and the oxygen cuts the object in half.

The operator usually stands behind some sheet metal and wears a shiney metal suit for safety. :D

If it really is white cast iron it is really brittle. Turn up the air conditioning to max and lift it centered over a large chunk of material and lower as fast as possible. It may snap in half. It would help to wait until the coldest day of the year. White cast iron will lose about 80% of it's Charpy impact strength at freezing. Of course, it may only be white iron on the surface. The chilling rate affects what type of iron is produced. The faster it chills the more iron carbide that is produced and the less graphite, producing white iron. The core may well be grey iron.

Also, some mill rolls have a thin layer of cast iron over steel. Try drilling a hole in it and see what sort of chips come out.

I'm sure someone from china will be along shortly to buy it from you. They will melt it down to cast hammers and anvils from it, no doubt.

Nick :cool:

about 30" diameter by 20' long.
Do you have any houses in the area where the idiots just cant seem to slow down and make the turn and end up with the car in the living room?

I've seen plenty that fit that description around here, and think it might look pretty good as a safety barrier lawn ornament...

Well some interesting ideas so far. We took a cut on it and it appears to by iron thru. It is a poaper roll but have no idea whos machine it fits, will need to be reground in any case. I'll search from scrap buyers. If I could get $200 a ton it would be worth it to ship it and get rid of the darn thing. So no one (with big cojones) has a home furnace ;)

Pretty good barricade for gun stores in the "smash and grab" neighborhoods. Cut it in half. Bury all but 4 ft in concrete in front of the door. Leave a people path. Should stop a cement truck.

Cut it up with an oxygen lance into ladle (42" long pieces). Where's your nearest mini steel mill?

Better yet, make some nice saddles and plant it on the grass outside your shop. Placard it as a "Annual Superior Management Award" with your boss's name on it.

Back