What's new
What's new

K&T on govliquidation.com

cryptic info examined with
photoshop zoom lens :D

"bad oil leak
will not feed or R.T."

That can't be good.

The bad oil leak started back in '74 when the doofus ran the fork of the hyster thru the side of the knee

Your gummint in action :D

John

Hmmm...the obgilatory "second most horrible paint colors imaginable" slathered on at some point. (the worst I've ever seen being some sort of "peach" color on a Deckel mill of all things) That aquisition cost is hard to swallow...maybe if adjusted for inflation, but not original figures I should think unless it included every KT accessory they ever made (now lost or stolen)

3299474.jpg

Look in center-left, this makes baby Jesus cry.

The Bridgeport Series II is a Tru-Trace machine, but could be used as manual mill if it is the motorized/ball screw type Tru-Trace (which it appears to be)

With less than 500 hours use (which I believe is correct based on the way the hydraulic tank looks and other clues), I'll bet that machine was pristine before the morons set it outside.

$90,000 for 500 hours work and then "scrap it"....man, don't you just love paying Fed income tax....NOT ! :mad:

"bad oil leak
will not feed or R.T."

OK, I admit it, I wrote that just to make sure no one bids on it! :D

Funny (sad) thing is, since it's on govliquidation, I bet the bidding will go through the roof.

Hmm, an S-12 with a powered overarm, nice. Those problems are not un-fixable. If anyone wants to buy it I'll make copies of all of my S-12 manuals.

I'm a little far from this machine in question but can you give a brief run down on how "not un-fixable" those particular problems are?

The main thing I see on govliqudation.com is that they are stored outside, with some rust on the ways and such. How bad is this and how can on judge if the rust is bad enough? On the last photo, it looks as though the ways were painted??

I saw one similiar to this mill that went for over 8K on govliquidation a few months ago. It was in pristine shape though and at least it was stored inside. This S-12 will probably go for at least 3K for some reason.

I notice that in the last photo (#8) of the mill linked above, they have used steel strapping over the table to hold it to the pallet. :(

That Cincinnati look like it has a moveable quill on the vertical head. My 205 has one on the vertical attachment. To bad its way down south, the powered overarm would be nice to have on mine.

As a retired GI I can explain a few things about Govn't Surplus Items. Many machines spent useful lives in nice buildings. With downsizing and modern CNC equipment available, a lot of extremely nice old iron is hitting the block (Sounds just like a lot of commercial businesses). Strapping to pallets with steel strapping Why Not? the machines move every 20 years or so and it is excess equipment that must be out of the area soon. The people strapping it down usually do not have anything better, and are moving it only a few miles (warehouse types , again not riggers) Sitting outside can be something else though. My mill was inside but had been dropped (No strapping I bet :( breaking horzontal overarm dovetail so it will probably never see full Horizontal use again. It had a condition code of H, http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/lmo/FEDERAL_CONDITION_CODES.pdf Which means just slightly worth more than scrap and will not get cushy heated dry storage. I had an old IBM Card Sorter (Paper Computer Punch Card) I put out behind the building in the snow and rain (light shrink wrap) Penny pinchers with an axe to grind looked up the stock number and told my Commander I was abusing Govn't Property storing it like that... After a talk to CDR and Senior Beancounter, Junior went away with tail between his legs, 15,000.00 Excess to unit 1962 IBM card sorter is not worth as much as it cost new, now for some reason
As a small shop it is no problem to track down used parts.As for the military tring to keep Van Normans and other old, out of business equipment running, after so long (we turned in our old VN after a measly 40 years of service), it is time to get something newer that has new parts available (Like collets). My mill was rusty looking
a couple hours with fine steel wool and oil, than a thorough cleaning to remove steel wool/rust residue and it looks/works just fine. A few weeks in non salt air did'nt pit anything. The natural oil leaks inherent to this old thing did not hurt any either

Back