What's new
What's new

1941 LeBlond 15" help

rfhebbler

Plastic
I just picked up a LeBlond 15" 36"center lathe from a state auction. The lathe came from L.S.U. and according to LeBond LTD it was delivered to them Sept. 1941. I was inquiring about chucks and was told it had 2 1/8" 5tpi threading and I would not likely find a chuck. He said many chose options using backplates and flat back chucks. I'm new to this game and would like some feedback and advice from you gurus. Are chucks and steady rests availble for these? I tried Ebay but didn't get any hits. Any help would be appreciated.
Ray

LSUlathe.jpg

LSUlathe2.jpg

LSUlathe3.jpg

LSUlathe4.jpg

Watch ebay for steadies. 5tpi on a spindle is an odd thread you don't see much of on the 'bay or elsewhere. Best bet would be to get a length of dura-bar or a "rough backing plate casting" and machine threads in it to fit your spindle, then machine the backing plate with it threaded on your spindle to fit a flat-back chuck. Not terribly difficult; you just need to take care to ensure that everything is straight when you are done turning.
Mark

Thanks for the replies. I will continue to search ebay and other sources. Please expect me to ask questions as I proceed. I will start spraying some penetrating oil on the current back plate to hopefully get it to release. I hear this can be a real challenge on these old work horses. Could you tell me if the threading is RH or LH? any tricks of the trade for removing it?

Ray

You can start out easy, bolt a 3' or so lengh of 2x4 onto the faceplate, leading out over the front of the machine horizontally or at most 45 deg or so above. Put the headstock in low gear and give the 2x4 a brisk tug downwards. You can try banging the outboard end of the 2x4 as well (not too hard- better to "surge" it by hand than hit it with a hammer). Don't put so much into it that you start moving (or tipping) the lathe- just go easy.

The spindle can still turn when in low gear. If you jam the geartrain in an attempt to increase the amount of force you apply, you'll risk damaging something.

Let us know if its still stuck on, in that case stronger measures may be required and some care taken.

Regards,

Greg

unless you plan to do faceplate work(i never
do) why not use the faceplate for the backing plate
of the flatback chuck.... looks to be an 8" chuck dia from here.

steady rests from other machines of similar height
can often be modified to fit your ways.

Thanks all! It unscrewed with just a little nudging after soaking up some penetrating oil overnight. I think I will machine the surface of the faceplate to true it up and use a flat back chuck as suggested.

Ray

Ray,

Before you adapt your face plate... I bought a new 2-1/8 x 5tpi threaded back plate off of EBay about a month ago. I'll dig around for the seller's contact info. He made a few in 6 and 8" IIRC. I've got a LeBlond 15 from 1944 - but have not started any serious restoration yet.

Jeff

I wouldn't machine the plate you have on there now. Use it to drive dogs and maybe as a small face plate. I have the same LeBlond lathe and like it a lot or a lightweight machine. Mine did come with modern 3 and 4 jaw chucks mounted on backing plates, though.

Thanks Terry, I am likely going to make my own back plates and get modern chucks as well. Right now I am trying to acquire tooling. My most needed item now is a steady rest.

Ray

Ray, I got my LeBlond at a farm auction and it has a home (farm)made steady rest. Looks not too good but works fine. If I was anywhere near the machine right now, I'd send a photo. Whoever made it welded it up out of stuff it looks like he had laying around the shop. For example the female V-way is made up from a couple of pieces of large key stock welded onto the base of the thing. There's not much on a steady rest that requires much precision.

Back