What's new
What's new

Measuring a Prospective Lathe

FirstEliminator

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

The last time I touched a lathe was about 12 years ago in vocational school in south Florida. I am looking at buying a lathe that is claimed to be 17". The lathe is a Leblond. From looking at other pics, I think it is a roundhead Leblond. Anyway, how would I properly measure to determine the actual size of the lathe? Would 17 be the radius? ---Like from the center of the spindle to the bed? Or, is it measured on the diameter? ---Like 17 total diameter meaning 8 1/2 to the bed from the spindle center?

thanks,
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

The latter. 17" would be the total swing over the ways. A pretty large lathe for a first one, I'm thinking. Drill presses are measured the same way, by the diameter of the largest circle they will drill into the center of.
Paul

This is somewhat misleading. You will find plenty of lathes that will swing about 2 1/2" more than their "size".

The used dealers love this - they would always say my Monarch (which is plainly marked 16") is an 18 1/2. :D

Moreso the bigger they get. My plainly marked 24" Lodge & Shipley will actually swing 27 1/2"

John

So, if you had a 17" lathe, probably the biggest stock to put in there would be about 18" in diameter?
Man, maybe I need a Niles. I don't think I need a big lathe, just kinda want one. Big lathes seem to be cheap for what they are. If a 60" lathe came along at a low price, I would probably pick it up just for fun....maybe I am getting ahead of myself. But it would still be fun though.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

Back