Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
Dad gave me this while I was home last week:

vise01.jpg

vise02.jpg

vise03.jpg

The markings on the top appear to read
"Massey's E&K Pat. May 11 1880"
The patent was issued to a Wilson Riley, of England. Here's the patent:http://www.google.com/patents?id=j0hnAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=may+11+1880+vise#PPP2,M1
The vise is quick acting, and, as you can see in the patent, has no screw. There are two interlocking saw-tooth racks, and a "worm-cam" (for lack of the proper term) that simultaneously pushes the lower rack into the upper and draws the outside jaw inward when the handle is turned clockwise. It's similar in function to some woodworker's vises.
Andy

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but the shape of the wing nut on the above vise is very similar to that on one of my 2 inch jaw Stephens 1864-1870 patent lever-action vises. I suppose the Massey/Riley vise was made in the USA, since it has the US patent date rather than the British patent information. Stephens, as a maker of screwless vises, would have been interested in a competitor's design.

Larry

Stephensvises1.jpg

Andy,
My dad wants to know when I can fix his lawn mower! Oh well, the goodies Mom and Dad made for the holidays were awesome, as always and they put up with me for 18+ years. I just cut them a couple of loads of firewood; should delay the lawnmower repair for a couple of months.
Sorry for the departure, your vise is gorgeous! Has it been in the family for long? I hope you are going to mount it and use it at least occasionally.
Rick

Back