What's new
What's new

Picking up a 10ee with an engine hoist

thebluecroc

Plastic
This is my first post to the group. I will be picking my 10ee (made 1-1949) in a few weeks . The shop I am buying it from will be loading it for me into a rented Uhaul truck (max weight capacity around 6000). We I get it to its new home (my garage), I would like to unload it using an engine hoist with some very heavy duty nylon slings. Has any had success doing this? My driveway is flat and I only need to go a few feet with it on the hoist. Where would the best place on the lathe be to pick it up with the slings? I would appreciate any advice on this subject as I am fairly very nervous about it.
Thanks,
Rob

An engine hoist would be a big risk, unless it is an A-frame with a capacity of at least 6,000 pounds.

I would transfer the machine to a roll-back wrecker and deliver it close to its final resting place that way.

Rob

Some of the cheaper engine hoist are only rated @ 4000 LBS fully retracted and in that position they can't lift very high and can't reach the middle of most trailers to pick up your lathe.(once you add the trailer height , lathe height and the slack in the slings) They are hard to roll with that much of a load.

A better choice, if your renting any way, is the drop deck trailers used to haul scissor lifts.
Do a search on 10EE moving and get a few ideas.

Hal

If you try the hoist, your best bet would be pick it in a way to drive the trailer out from under it. From past experience trying this with a low quality engine hoist, by the time she had 4000 lbs in the air there was no way you could push it anywhere.....mine had low clearance frame for getting under vehicles, the frame was on the concrete in the middle. She bowed like the St. Louis arch.

Moved one myself with a hoist.
Levered the lathe so that it was crossways at the rear of the trailer and lifted it from behind with a decent 2 ton hoist in the 1.5 ton position using a strap round the bed.
Then moved the trailer out and lowered it onto blocks.

Charles

I have an engine hoist and it is not configured to pick up something like a lathe or mill very well. The spread between the legs is too narrow to lower anything wider than about 18-20" to the floor. So you get the lathe off the trailer and then have a 3000 pound lump on a set of wheels that don't want to go where you want them and a pebble will stop you in your tracks. If the garage is high enough find a gantry to lift it off the trailer with. If not have a wrecker move it off the trailer, the best 50-100.00 you will spend on the move.

Steve

My method of choice (now that I no longer have a forklift) is to use a tiltbed trailer, and to strap the 10EE to a pallet jack and roll it off. I load the lathe on the pallet jack lengthwise, with the headstock of the 10EE at the handle end of the pallet jack, strap the lathe using a ratchet strap to the frame at the front of the pallet jack, and another strap around the lathe, under the bed and around the pallet jack forks.

-Dave

If some of these methods are unavailable, such as in my case, a call to the local tow truck company works when you request a boom lift. a $20 lifting strap is all it takes and whatever you work out with the tow truck comany. Wrap the strap around the center hub of the ways as shown in the manual and away you go.

lifting lathe

That is alot of weight for a standard engine hoist.The one i have at my shop is rated at 2000 pounds but i would never lift 2000 pounds with it.The one at work is a otc for truck engines that would do it but i think you would be better off with tow truck,fork lift ect.

Picking up Monarch 10ee with engine hoist

Thanks to all for the very good advice.
I am going to give it a whirl with the engine hoist but have already found a wrecker (conveniently, right down the street) that is willing to help out if it proves unsafe. I will take pictures of the operation and post them afterwards.

This is my first post to the group. I will be picking my 10ee (made 1-1949) in a few weeks . The shop I am buying it from will be loading it for me into a rented Uhaul truck (max weight capacity around 6000). We I get it to its new home (my garage), I would like to unload it using an engine hoist with some very heavy duty nylon slings. Has any had success doing this? My driveway is flat and I only need to go a few feet with it on the hoist. Where would the best place on the lathe be to pick it up with the slings? I would appreciate any advice on this subject as I am fairly very nervous about it.
Thanks,
Rob

It all depends on the hoist ;)

No3-2.jpg

This is a 2-ton hoist, though not from Harbor Fright ;)
The lathe is 1.5 tons.

Tim

Rod

You can use a strap and go around the webs between the flats/V's on the lathe.
If you go around and under the bed with a sling be sure to watch any sharp edges and put a 4 x 4 by the lead screw so the sling doesn't bend the lead screw.

The web about 6" +- from the headstock is close to the center lifting point. Raise the machine 1-2" off the ground and use the tail stock & carriage to balance the lathe.
Once balanced lock the tailstock in place to keep the tail stock from sliding off the lathe if it tips. Do a search and you should find a picture of MONARCh's suggested lifting procedure.

Tape the head stocks covers in place as one guy had one blow off.

Oh and take pictures. :)

Hal

That picture scares the willies out of me, but thats just me. I try and figure where the center of gravity is, and it looks pretty darned close to the wheels at the end of the feet. All you would need is a little slope or a small drop, and I wouldn't want to be there to watch... Even lowering the lathe from that height could get exciting if stopped suddenly.

I loaded two 10EE base castings (stripped) and lathe beds onto a flatbed trailer using my chimport 2T engine hoist, and the weight was far forward enough that I had to stand on the hoist back end to keep the rear wheels on the ground. But those were on the way to the metal recyclers, so I wasn't particularly worried about damaging them. It was kind of sad to see the base castings picked up with a big claw that had enough power to break them up. I ended up with $80 in scrap value for my efforts.

-Dave

.... And the metal ended up in that new Honda! :-)

I hear you, Dave, with the fear of that picture. I've had a little experience with engine hoists and fundamentally I never want to mess with one again. I think they are accidents waiting to happen with idiots like myself around! They are just too easy to abuse past their limits and when things go wrong, they go wrong F-A-S-T.

Personally, I love my little forklift for this stuff... And you are partly to blame for that, Dave! I saw yours (although the lack of brakes kind of freaked me out, seeing as your house has a steep driveway) and I wanted one... They are just too much fun! :D

Alan

That picture scares the willies out of me, but thats just me. I try and figure where the center of gravity is, and it looks pretty darned close to the wheels at the end of the feet. All you would need is a little slope or a small drop, and I wouldn't want to be there to watch... Even lowering the lathe from that height could get exciting if stopped suddenly.
-Dave

There must be a bit of 'parallax error' or illusion in the pic, and there was never a hint of any instability. The hoist is a serious piece of kit not some imported bits of bent tin. The hoist itself weighs getting on for half a ton. It has pressure safety valves to prevent gross overloading.
Having said that, it was right on the limit & I agree it's not the sort of job to do on sloping ground, and as with any lifting job it would be very important to keep bodies out of the 'hazard zone'. The lathe was only at that height as the trailer was drawn from under it, then lowered near to the ground ASAP.

Tim

That is a HOIST!! What company made that?

EPCO in Leeds, UK

The rear boom pivot is adjustable for height, to give a range of lifting heights. It has auto 2-speed lift (fast on light load, slow once a load comes on), and steerable (and lockable) rear castors.

Tim

Back