What's new
What's new

OT- Warning for businesses from a company called IPA

This thread may get locked, but just wanted to put a word out there about a company I was recently contacted by. It was pretty bad, so if I can steer one person in the right direction, its worth it and i know there are a lot of shop owners (or guys that work for small shop owners) on here so just trying to help everyone out.

The other day a company called and said they were a consulting firm, blah blah blah and it came up as a local number and not even a blocked call as normal, so I actually listened for more than 2 seconds. They are called Internatial Profit Associates, a consulting firm, after hearing that I told them no sorry was not interested as I never take any advice from anyone that calls me like that, so they are talking to the wrong guy, they tried to set up an appointment and I said no way no time sorry. After them blabbering for a few minutes and trying to get off the phone politely, I said shut up and I hung up. Called the local number back that was on caller ID, somehow it goes to a place in Chicago but is with a Pittsburgh area code, a woman answered, and they give me this speach about how they have 2000 employees and there is no way they can connect me to the guy I was talking to without an extension. But when I called back again a minute later I asked if this was Joe Walsh (name given to me when they called) and first he said yes can I help you. Voice was different and I just talked to him 3 minutes ago, so I asked what we were talking about because this did not sound like the same guy, he did not know and said he thought I said John Welsh, his mistake. I called yet again, someone different answered, I asked if this was Joe Walsh, he said what can I help you with like it was implying that this was Joe Welsh. But again was not him. So we had some fun with it for the day, every once in a while we would call back and screw with them, and make up names to ask for, and most of the time they would answer to those names.

Anyway, it appears that they scheduled this appointment anyway even though I said no and hing up, and this guy shows up. Says his name is Frank Delligatti. (probably not his real name, but just made up I think)

I was in the back working on a machine so he was here about 15 minutes in the front before anyone let me know, as they know not to let anyone in that looks crooked, especially when I am in the middle of working on a machine.
In that 15 minutes, he tried to get the girl in the front to let him look at financial records, and into my office to check out inventory, etc. This was supposed to be his consulting job and wanted to get started while I was busy. He was very pushy and made the people in the front very nervous. But he insisted he had an appointment with me, so they got me. Thankfully they did.
The guy started with this BS that he had an appointment and there would be a $1000 travel charge if he did not get to look at anything, but if I let him do his review then I was under no obligation to pay a dime.
This guy was the pushiest SOB that I have EVER met in a professional environment. I told him no, not interested and please leave now. He said I would be paying this bill, I said Not a chance, I told him again to get the F out, he WOULD NOT LEAVE. It was almost like I felt we were about to be held up or robbed that the guy was so bad.
Long story short, he would not leave, I told him I would call the police, he said go ahead because he would present the bill he was trying to collect for the appointment, so once he got that attitude I said good but there will only be one side because I meant I will call the police to come pick up your body off my floor, so then he got the message and left. I have never had to throw anyone out quite that roughly before who was supposedly not a criminal.

I just wanted to pass this along, because they had also called another machine shop owner in Pittsburgh that I know this week, and tried to also set something up with him. But he is almost never there and always out on the road working (he welds on heavy equipment too), so who knows if they came by there or not.

If you google IPA Scams or Suing IPA which I did AFTER this guy left, you can see this is a pretty large problem and I cannot see how nothing has been done about it. But it is clear after seeing what they tried to do, they are nothing but a bunch of scum.
Something very crooked is going on here, and after seeing what they try to do first hand, it really is bad. I should have probably shot the guy and did the local business a favor.
It appears they have some ties with politicians too so something crazy is going on.

Like I said this post may get locked and its OK if it does, but I thought it was important to get out there. I only wonder what would have happened if I was not there, I am sure one of the guys here would have stepped up, but this guy may have been really convincing and they may not have known any better. It was just rediculout the way this guy acted and the way the company acts when calling them. I will try to find the number again and post it, everyone here can ask for joe walsh and see how many answers you get.
So just watch out.

Please see if you can find the number so I can get them to show up at my shop. I have a part timer that is a state trooper and would love to give him my permission to be the owner for the duration of these a$$ wipes visit. :D Does it show I hate people like that? :cheers:

what is amazing is that these guys would not be trying these scams if they did not work at least some of the time. Who would would work with a anyone like that? Obviously an outgrowth of the copier supply service industry.

I had an encounter with them a few years ago. They are turds indeed. I ran them out at the end of a stick, I believe they are getting worse. There's a few mentions of them on PM previously.

Next time ask if he would accept payment in the form of a commodity…..such as lead…..traveling at a high velocity.

I threatened to call the cops and have one arrested for trespassing once.

I had another one call up and apologize after I ran him out. Said he took the job because he was desperate but he didn’t know just how bad it was.

Ipa

I would seem southern Michigan is covered out of the Chicago Office.
I listened and listened and I was unable to really understand what they were trying to do. Other than trying to understand how much money this business was handling on a yearly basis. But the entire operation reeks of scam scam scam.
I tried to give them the benifet of the doubt but they are really pushy. Even after it was determined they had nothing to offer me, they kept calling back time after time trying to set up additional appointments "because they were in the area".
I believe the people you talk to are only trying to determine the amount of money that may be available, them they may call in the "experts" to properly advise you in how to run your business.
Thank you for caller ID, we only answered about every forth or fifth call and I would answer by saying, "Still ain't interested, I think you are running a scam" After about 2 months, the calls seems to have stopped.
They say they have experts in various areas where ever you have had trouble and they will bring these people in to advise you but they want to see your balance sheet first.
They traavel in different sized circles but always come back to how much money is available in this operation.
It is real high pressure.
They have no understanding of the word NO. I believe they have a blockage in their ears that closes up when you say no. They don't even slow down talking when you say no.
I usually sign off with "Regards". For this post, I will change it.
Beware, Walt...

Number was 412-533-5220 but it was not as fun today, I asked for Joe Walsh and while he stuttered a little, did not say that was his name. I only tried once though, we're very busy today. 4 DRO's and 8 Collet Closers to do today.

I spent a couple of months attempting to be a salesman for home burglar and fire protection systems. Had to drag around a big demo box with a door, window and a big red bell for in-home presentations. Didn't take too long to figure out it wasn't for me. But I learned a bunch, especially how all the salemen and the bosses would attend meetings where we learned how to get around the word "no". We practiced EVERY possible thing a homeowner could think of to avoid signing a contract, and how to respond.

They drummed one thing into our heads real hard--if you left w/o a signed contract, you'd never get them to sign one later, and they weren't your friends, etc.

I how all the salemen and the bosses would attend meetings where we learned how to get around the word "no". We practiced EVERY possible thing a homeowner could think of to avoid signing a contract, and how to respond.

Try this - "We're filing chapter 7 bankruptcy next month, is that going to be a problem? ;)

You folks sound like a bunch of putz's? :skep:

The receiver is in YOUR hand! All you gotta doo is hang it up and back away slowly.

ANYONE that I don't know on the phone is asked by me "What'cha sellin'?". Of course no-ones ever selling anything - they are looking for $ for NRA, RNC, wanting to collect my old - non responcive invoices for me, etc...

Now one thing that I may have over some of you - I HAVE a shotgun, a rifle, [as well as a four wheel drive] - all VERY handy in the shop! ;)

Not sure the dogs would let that type through the door or not? My last dog never met one particular guy that I knew all too well, but that dog WOULD NOT let him be! (Good doggie - Scoobie snacks fer you! :drool5: )

I don't even like the fact that my accountant and banker has a looky see at how much (little?) goes through here. I kant imagine any way, shape, or form (Other than dead) that I would let some joker see my books. There must be someone out there that does - but I for one think I got it under control.

Thanks for the heads up Quality and also Walt (a bit more local) that they are in the area. I may clean a shotgun in their name. :angry:

---------

I am Ox and I hate unethical people!

Wow, with the way my luck is, they are probably going to call me today.

Believe me, them people do NOT want to deal with me.

Thanks for posting this QMT :cheers:

Try this - "We're filing chapter 7 bankruptcy next month, is that going to be a problem? ;)

Mudflap, That does work:). A few years ago I had a call from a condo salesman that started out with," Is your annual income more than $12,000 per year?". I said "Sorry, no, I don't make that much!" ;). He couldn't hang up fast enough, and never called again. Joe

If caller ID says "Out of Area" I don't pick up.

If it's a name I don't recognize they get a few seconds to explain who they are.

If I don't like what they're saying they get:

"I'm sorry but I don't accept telemarketing calls"

Then hang up, no need to wait for their response.

These people are definitely bottom feeders. What amazes me is that they are trying these tactics with businesses and they must be getting some money out of some of them or they'd be trying different scams elswhere. Who are the suckers that have gotten took by these scumbags?

Wow if you really read into the company, its pretty sick. A lot more came up on this than I thought.

Ox, I did hang up, they came anyway! (uninvited) Thats when I get to have some fun.

I usually give anyone a chance that stops by as long as it is not something totally stupid (like shipping companies, or if they are even selling something that is real, even boxes and tape, lightbulbs, oil, tires, whatever they want to try thats fine I always think how they are probably new and just trying to do their job that sucks). If they are nice, I am nice.
I have to say, I have actually opened up accounts with new shippers because their rep came by, also bought cardboard boxes too. When the price and service is better its good but thats about it.
But when I cannot see or understand what they are selling within 10 seconds or they get pushy, thats it. Or 20 Seconds if she is pretty. Or if it is so totally off the wall unrelated like having someone try to sell me $10,000 office furniture for a warehouse, well they can hit the road.

I almost feel bad for the guy that came too, he was probably pushed that hard to sell me some BS and he may not even know it is BS. Maybe he even believes the BS. He did look scared when I said I was calling police to get his body out of here.

But if you read the story about this company and how the CEO there used to be a lawyer and was disbarred and is now in court all the time, and how he donates to Hilary Clinton, and others, had paid George Bush (the first one) to speak at a christmas party, whats going on here?

My questions is, HOW ARE THEY STILL DOING IT AFTER SO MANY COMPLAINTS? Its all over the internet about how many problems there are with them and they are still around. Not to mention legally, but how could a person even live with themselves running a business like that? When someone calls me up unhappy about something, even if it is totally off the wall and they demand way too much, I still worry about it. How in the heck could you go through life ripping people off?
Guess I was born different, but who knows.
Oh well better get back to helping with the DRO's or I will have some people unhappy with us!

If I don't like what they're saying they get:

"I'm sorry but I don't accept telemarketing calls"

Then hang up, no need to wait for their response.
If they are selling industrial cleaning supplies you could ask if they have something good for cleaning up blood...lots of blood...and act really nervous... :stirthepot:

Back