What's new
What's new

Monarch part descriptions?

The real Leigh

Diamond
Hi All,

The Monarch 10ee drawings give numbers for all the parts, but no descriptions.

Is there a list of descriptions available?

For example, it would be nice to know that 102-11 is a black 1/4"-20 x 2" SHCS.

I realize that the EE-prefix parts are unique/special, but fasteners, dowel pins, taper pins, and other hardware should be available without bothering Monarch for them.

TIA

- Leigh

As far as I know there is no such animal. It would be great if there was one. Wanna project? :)
Hi Daryl,

I've already started. :D

Using Micro$oft Access database. Initially just a single one for everything. I'll probably split it with generic parts in one and EE-prefix parts in another when it gets big enough.

Definitely looking for info... all contributions will be gratefully acknowledged.

- Leigh

Leigh, a phone call to Scott or the parts dept. at Monarch might get you what you need. The tags on the parts all have short descriptive names, so maybe you could get them to do a printout of the 10EE parts and enter it into your spreadsheet.

-Dave

Hi Dave,

That's a good idea.

Any chance you could call them and make the request?

I don't know anybody there. They'd probably be more receptive if the request came from somebody they knew.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Leigh:

I ask Monarch for a 10EE parts description list a year ago and they stated they just went by the parts #.
They said for some of the other models a description was available but not for the EE.

I found it had to believe that that in all the years that the EE has been in production a list hadn't been made.
On some of the parts drawings, where a lot of small parts go into an area its sometimes hard to match the # to the part.
What a great project.
Leigh, give Scott a call, He's a great guy. Teri answer the phone, but I can't remember the parts girls name.
I'll look on some of my parts and see if they have the parts # and a description.

Hal

If you harvest the Round Dial manual from the "Net, there are exploded parts diagrams in the rear of that manual, one for each major section of the machine.

Each Figure has a number by each part (this IS the place to see the non-telescoping taper attachment AND the telescoping taper attachment, BTW), coded as Figure number and Sequence number within each Figure.

In the rear of that is a description for each coded part.

If you harvest the Round Dial manual from the "Net, there are exploded parts diagrams in the rear of that manual, one for each major section of the machine.
In the rear of that is a description for each coded part.
Hi Peter,

Yes, I have that one (the 1942 round dial manual from the Metal Illness site).

Unfortunately, real part numbers are totally absent. There are exploded views of the various assemblies with reference numbers, then in the back there are descriptions of the parts, organized by reference number.

Nary a single real part number in the entire book.

Thanks.

- Leigh

As is common with most companies, there is a pattern to the Monarch part numbers.

So far I've identified the following prefixes:
100 - #6-32 SHCS
101 - #10-24 SHCS
102 - 1/4"-20 SHCS
103 - ?? SHCS
104 - 5/16"-16 SHCS
426 - nuts (possibly #10-24 but likely all threads)
436 - Taper pins
512 - Dowel pins

It's interesting that the #8-32 screws seem to be an after-thought, comprising prefixes 322, 362, 377, 378, and 577. I expect these represent different head styles, but I don't have enough examples to clarify that.
322 is a set screw (possibly all setscrews???)
362 is an oval-head slotted screw
377 is a flat-head screw, not further identified
378 is a flat-head slotted screw

Some part numbers are difficult (for me) to read due to the stylized script used by the draftsman. I have trouble distinguishing 3 from 5. For example, the 577 prefix noted above may actually be 377.

Onward :typing:

- Leigh

"Nary a single real part number in the entire book"

True, but from the exploded parts diagrams (photos) and the parts sheets (drawings), a correlation between part numbers (from the drawings) and part names (from the photos) could be made.

True, but from the exploded parts diagrams (photos) and the parts sheets (drawings), a correlation between part numbers (from the drawings) and part names (from the photos) could be made.
Hi Peter,

Those are not "part numbers", they're just reference numbers relative to a particular illustration.

What I want to do is know that part number 102-11 is a 1/4"-20 x 2" black SHCS, so I can install the right part if it's missing.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Monarch assembly drawings only gave part numbers. You had then use the bill of material (part list) to get the description and other information. From around 1950 through 1990 Monarch used the following system for parts and drawings:

4 digits numbers was hardware or commodity parts
5 digits numbers was for parts
6 digits numbers was for assemblies.
Q prefix numbers was for non-standard parts and assemblies
other prefix was model designation that the part or assembly went to. This practice was stopped sometime in the 50's.

In general Monarch refused to give out their bill of materials because there was too much proprietary information listed.

For metric socket head cap screws (and most hardware the dash number following the main number is the size or length of the hardware)

1400-XX M3X0.5 SHCS
1401-XX M4X0.7 SHCS
1402-XX M5X0.8 SHCS
1403-XX M6X1.0 SHCS
1404-XX M8X1.25 SHCS
1405-XX M10X1.5 SHCS
1406-XX M12X1.75 SHCS
1407-XX M16X2.0 SHCS
1408-XX M20X2.5 SHCS
1409-XX M24X3.0 SHCS

METRIC FLAT WASHER
1527-6 FOR M6
1527-8 FOR M8
1527-10 FOR M10 - ETC.

Sorry that this does not help with older machines. When I was at Monarch all fasteners were metric. This started in the mid 80's and by 1990 all new machines where design hard metric. This does show the logic used in the numbering system. Once a part number is found for a screw, it then uses the same base number for all lengths, and slight variation for different sizes.

Monarch had engineering standard books with the hardware tables listing the part number for different screws. If someone lives close to Sidney, they might see if they can stop in a make a copy of the few pages that pertains to standard hardware.

I hope this helps some,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I'll include it in the project.

My original intent was to concentrate on the English hardware used in the vintage machines. But it seems inevitable that the metric standard would be adopted at some point, and probably should be included in the database.

We'll see if anybody in Ohio is interested in making the trip.

Thanks again.

- Leigh

English hardware followed the same logic as the metric hardware example. The first two digits was for the type, the last two digits is size or style and then dashes is for length or diameter. For example, for M6x30 long SHCS 1403-30, where the code for metric SHCS is 14; the 03 is code for M6 diameter and the -30 is the length. English screws would have a similar code. So if you figure out the part number for say 1/4-20 SHCS then you will know the beginning code for all English SHCS.

John

Leigh,

When I spoke to Terrie this week I asked her about your parts lists. She indicated that there is a parts list in the folder for each major assembly that lists the part number and a short description. She can also look up numbers on her computer.

Terrie is definitely the go-to person on this. Call Monarch at (937) 492-4111 and ask for Terrie. She is very helpful. If you don’t already have the $75 documentation package, order that and see if she can include the parts lists.

Cal

Back