What's new
What's new

Larg(er) Single-phase VFDs

peterh5322

Diamond
As reported in the VFD Forum, Polyspede ...

http://www.polyspede.com

... is now marketing single-phase VFDs in larger sizes.

These are quite suitable for VFD conversions for Monarchs.

In fact, these Spedestar drives are single-phase ONLY ... three-phase input is not an option.

So, these are not derated or even fully-rated three-phase drives, these are true single-phase drives.

A 5 HP drive, Model PC1-50, suitable for a Monarch 10EE, comes in a largish Frame Code B size package, 7.87" W x 10.83" H x 8.11" D, and in this frame size the dynamic braking module is standard equipment. A 20 Ohm, 1000 Watt D.B. resistor is specified.

Driveswarehouse stocks these, and the price is a rather reasonable $599. If purchased on ePay, shipping is free.

Polyspede calls these drives "Phase Converter Drives", but these are really true VFDs.

The link was good during the week. Perhaps it will be back tomorrow, Monday.

I downloaded the manual for the Spedestar. 3.2 MB.

It was from the manual that I got the dimensions and the specs on the D.B. resistor.

Interesting: Polyspede states in the manual both the standard D.B. resistor value and the minimum resistance for the resistor. In the case of the PC1-50 (single-phase 5 HP, 230 volts), the two values are the same.

Polyspede products sometimes show up on ePay.

These are often the company's older products, which appear to be component level and possibly hand assembled.

The present Spedestar line appears to be highly integrated, and possibly assembled off-shore.

Here is the company's contact info:

Polyspede Electronics Corporation

6770 Twin Hills Ave, Dallas, TX 75231-6510

Phone: (214) 363-7245

Download the Brochure from ...

http://driveswarehouse.com/documentation/Polyspede/PC1B.pdf

... and the Manual from ...

http://driveswarehouse.com/documentation/Polyspede/PC1M.pdf

... which covers all models, including the Model PC1-50, which is the 5 HP drive which is recommended for 10EE applications.

Note that as this Polyspede drive also comes in larger versions, which are also single-phase, this family of drives is also suitable for 13EE and EE1000 applications.

I tested the links, above, before posting this, and they work!

The manual says they do volts/hertz and sensorless vector.
Very cool.
I wonder if these are manufactured by Lucky Goldstar?
--Doozer

I think these guys were hosted in Houston - a major server site was shut down completely after a transformer explosion that took out the power feed and distribution. It looks like they had things stabilized and on a 2MW generator when it's breaker tripped, they're replacing it and should have much of their systems back up today.

Still appears to be down. Oh, well.

The 5 HP drive specifies about 36 amps, so at least a 45 amp feeder would be required.

The safety switch which is supplied with 460 volt 10EEs is usually a 30 amp, 600 volt switch, and that with the 230 volt 10EEs is usually a 60 amp, 300 volt switch.

Did anyone notice that the Spedestar has what appears to be an active converter, so that it presents a very high power factor to the utility at all times?

There is a "two wire" and a "three wire" control method.

The "three wire" method, which actually uses four wires, and is stated to provide a lockout function whereby it is impossible for the drive to start in FWD or in REV when initially powering-on the drive.

Personally, I like the Monarch approach, whereby the machine won't start unless the FWD/OFF/REV drum switch, or the ELSR equivalent, is in the OFF position.

The more I look at the Spedestar manual, the more I like this drive.

Back