What's new
What's new

changing a blackhawk from 357 to 45 colt

fourtynine

Aluminum
i have an old 3 screw ruger blackhawk 357 not a collector piece . that i would like to change over to a 45 or a 44wcf, i would like to keep the original 6.5 in. barrel, does anyone know if this can be re bored , i know the rifles can but have not heard of anyone doing it to a pistol.any recommendations or opinions are welcome.

all three screws that have not been converted to a transfer bar are collector guns.

that said the frame is too small for .44-40 and ,45 colt. the largest i have heard of and seen was .44spl.

with all the money and time and work it would be cheaper to sell the .357 and buy a 3 screw .41 mag it will do every thing that a .38-40 .44-40 .44 spl. and .45 colt can do and maybe better.

Bob,

That is only if it is also a flat top frame. There are a lot of 3 screw .357's out there built on the large frame size.

it's not a flat top, i think it was made in the late 60s.someone already changed the grip frame and the ejector tube to steel , the 44-40 would go good with my 92 winchester carbine , and i just like the 45.

Have you done the math to determine if there is enough material in the cylinder to allow it to be rechambered to the larger cartridges without leaving too thin walls? I don't have one so I can't do it myself.

I was under the impression that all the old Blackhawks were the same size frame, same diameter cylinder, etc. Am I wrong??

Ray

no you are right on.

the flat top was the first modle then the one with the ribs beside the rear sight. then the ones with the hiphon in the searel number. these were the last model the new models started in 1973.

i have all three models in 357 and there is no difference in the frame size. and know i don't see them falling out of trees. the grip frame and the ejector are not perment changes.

thanks for all the info guys, if i decide to go through with it I'll let you know how it go's, if i can't get the original barrel rebored or at a reasonable price , i probably will just try to find a 3 screw 7.5 barrel 45 . i understand they were made a few years before the new safety.

Lets sort out the info here. Some things were missed.

The 3 screw 357 is Colt size. All the other old and new models are the same size a good bit larger. Except the 50th anniversary model, it goes back to the 3 screw 357 size.

The way to make a stout 45 on a 3 screw is to get a new model 357 cylinder and open the window on the 3 screw window and trim a little off the outside od the cylinder. Rechamber the cylinder to whatever the basepin to barrel centerline is. They do vary a lot.

The cylinder is a little shorter than a 45 cylinder. But don't worry, it will get the job done, and the thicker cylinder walls help a lot.

If you just rechamber the 3 screw cylinder, you use Colt loads.

Thats the way I've built them.

Any questions, I'll try to help.

Last edited:
thanks i will probably have a few ?'s if i decide to do it , i seem to be the only one who likes the 6.5 barrel every one i talk to about the gun , says they prefer the 7.5 , what i like best about the gun is the frame size and the 6.5 barrel. not to crazy about any of the mags , for my use, to much noise . i usually load light 44wcf or 45's for tin can killin.

5 1/2 to 6 in is a good length. I've seen folks that couldn't shoot a 7 1/2 in barrel have it shortened to 5 1/2 and do much better. Nice balance point and the length of a lot of custom revolvers.

Back