What's new
What's new

Integrating lugs with barrel??

Lumberjack

Hot Rolled
Hi to all of you,

I have some plans ´n thoughts of a little homeproject. To set the level. It´s not going to be a BR world record gun but it does need to be accurate.
I am in as position where I would have benefit of integrating the bolt lock-up in the barrel.
same design as Sauer among others uses.
But How do one integrate the locking lugs into the barrel?
Which specific design issues need to be addressed? That is in addition to when looking at a regular reciver like Rem / M98.
Things that have come to my mind is heat treat, of the locking surfaces in the barrel for, wear resistance.
Anyone here with experience? Any inpupt would be appreciated!

Hi Lumberjack,
There seems to have been a whole spectrum of ideas along these lines.

I think it was Sportco who machined the whole receiver out of the breech end of the barrel (I'm told it was a bugger to re-barrel, when it shot out, or you wanted a different twist),

through having locking surfaces in the breech of the barrel, right through to the seperate locking insert, or locking in the receiver of more conventional bolt actions.

My question is why do you want to do it that way?

It is probably going to be much harder to bore out the breech, and acheive good case head support, along with a good finish on the locking seats, and cut the chambering cams, than it would be to make an insert like the stolle panda has and thread the barrel into it.

Cloning the mauser inner collar would simplify the chambering and threading of a barrel by providing a simple datum and effectively controlling head protrusion, by making it constant for that receiver.

Keith

My intention is to get a small lightweight reciever for a 7,62x39.

The closest I´ve found to match my requirements is the TC Icon. To give a a picture of the fetures I want. 60°, integrated rail / square bridge, match quality trigger, magazines avalible, preferably fat bolt for smooth operation, low weight.

The plan was to make a reciever in Alumininum and have all the locking lugs in the barrel. This would reduce the overall size of the reciver compared to the Stolle but yet being rigid.

But perhaps it is the best overall solution to apply the reciever mounted barrel extension solution as made by Stolle.
Or buy something close enough...

To Make it simple

An AR Barrel Extension and a AR 7.62 x 39 Bolt head, would make an Aluminum Receiver Bolt rifle a Pretty quick build. And with a very short Bolt Handle lift.

AR Magazine (Shortened if desired) would help too.

My intention is to get a small lightweight reciever for a 7,62x39.

The plan was to make a reciever in Alumininum and have all the locking lugs in the barrel. This would reduce the overall size of the reciver compared to the Stolle but yet being rigid.

As mentioned, what you've described is exactly that of the M-16/AR-15 configuration, using a separate barrel extension containing the lugs, which is screwed on the barrel.

Jeff

The Kalashnikov does the same thing. There's a "front trunnion" which holds the barrel (normally pressed and pinned into place instead of threaded) which is riveted to the "receiver", which is a simple open sheet metal box.

I also forgot the Browning BBR and Voere Shikar. They used a "bushing" that screwed onto the barrel at one end and had locking lugs on the other. The bushing was made from whatever steel the designer felt appropriate, while the receiver was soft chicken-wire-grade cheap stuff.

If you do use an insert, be sure to design it so it cannot rotate independant of the receiver (you need to be absolutely certain that when the bolt handle is turned down, the action is locked).

If you go for an AR type many lug bolt, the very short bolt lift does not leave any room for extraction or chambering cams, so you will need to think of another way of installing them:confused:.

Keith

Thanx alot guys for all your good input!

The AR soultion is really appealing. It would sure give a short bolt lift!
And a few other issues to address as well. Regarding extraction and chambering, maybe one could look into the design of the Mauser 96 on those two issues. We are talking about hunting rifles here and even though it produces long travel and ignition time they do perform. On the other hand this is supposed to be a light rifle hence more sensitive in that aspect.
My, most likely, biggest problem with the AR solution would be to get the parts to sweden... The AR is not so... lets just say common here. Due to government issues.

I will have to look further into to the Browning and Voere, have´nt seen them IRL. Gonna take a closer look at the AK also.

Anyway, on the total you have convinced me to choose barrel extension. Easier to control and perform the manufacturing at home and even repeat.
Three lugs with a sako extractor would still leave room for extraction and chambering cams.

I´m leaning towards mounting it permanently in the reciever.

Hmmm, can not stop thinking about how sleek it could get to make it direct in the barrel... Maybe the solution is to get More and Better machinery! =)

Thanx again for all your input!
Have a nice evening!
Henrik

Back