What's new
What's new

AR15 muzzle brake removal

Rockford123

Plastic
I am new member but have been lurking for a while. A lot of great info on this site.

I have an AR15 that is a post ban gun with a spot welded on muzzle brake.

I was wonder what would be the best way to cut the welds and remove the brake and install a flash supressor?

What recomendations are out there for touch up of the parkerizing after removal?

I guess I should have asked if it is even legal to remove this on a post ban gun. I know the law sunset so did all guns that were post ban fall under the preban rules or are these guns in some type of class where the restricted components cannot be removed?

thanks in advaced

Depending on who manufactured and installed the break, normally you can mill the pin and welment away with a carbide end-mill. Armalite put the pins in at an angle, so you have to be careful. Bushmaster used two pins, one on the bottom, one on the top.

Whether it is legal or not would depend on your state. Some states implemented bans similar to the 94' AWB, so you will have to check state laws first.

AR15 muzzle brake

It shouldn't be illegal to remove a muzzle brake, as they're removal didn't fall under the ban. If your intent is to remove a muzzle break and install a flash hider you probably should check. Even during the ban, you could have "two" parts on an AR(adjustable butstock, muzzle break, pistol grip, etc). Your only problem with removing the break will be if it leaves the barrel too short-a lot of muzzle breaks were welded onto short barrels and were counted as part of the length.

Lazarus is correct. Simply removing the break would not be illegal in any state, but, either leaving the barrel with threads or replacing the bread with a flash-suppressor, would violate certain state laws.

Bushmaster did produce some true M-4 barrels (14-1/2") that they permanently attached a miserably loud muzzle-break. It that break is removed, something has to be permanently re-attached to bring that barrel-length back to a legal length.

Thanks for the replys. I will check with the BATF to get the official work.

On the length question how is the barrel measured. Is it from the barrel nut to the end of the threaded portion? Does this need to be 16+ inches?

the barrel is measured from end to end of the barrel itself... add 0.620 to the distance crown to front of the barrel extension for the distance inside the extension to get the overall length.

On the length question how is the barrel measured. Is it from the barrel nut to the end of the threaded portion? Does this need to be 16+ inches?

Rockford123,
Take a small wooden dowel 16" long, close the bolt on the rifle. Drop the dowel in the barrel. If you can see the dowel sticking out of the barrel it is too short. Other way use a small wooden dowel, drop dowel in barrel, mark dowel at the crown or end of muzzle. Measure dowel from end to mark. If over 16" you are OK for a rifle. Please give yourself at least 1/4" more for good measure.

Any one have anything to add? Feel free.

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for the replys. I will check with the BATF to get the official work.

Gunbuilder has the right idea. Anyone that cares how long your barrel is will measure from the closed bolt-face.

The BATF will probably not be able to tell you what your state laws are. The federal law pertaining to flash suppressors is gone. You should check with your state to find out if your state has any restrictions on the AR-15.

Back