What's new
What's new

300 Wisper? Has Anyone Built One?

Grits

Stainless
Hello Everyone

Has anyone ever built a 300 Whisper. I am contemplating building one, with a LEGAL Suppressor, to shoot beavers, at night, on my rice farm. I have a permit to shoot them legally after dark. The varmints are eating trees and stopping up my irrigation systems faster than we can trap them.

I have thought about building it form an AR upper and also thought about building it on a bolt action.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Grits

What ranges are we talking, and T/C has 300 whisper Barrels,IIRC.

If Semi auto is what you need buy an upper for an AR, But if you don't have an AR Good luck finding one, reasonable.

Thanks

I have an AR lower or two that would work fine. What case is the 300 Whisper built from? My failing memory tells me it is not a 223.

Ranges would be around fifty yards plus or minus.

Thanks,

Grits

The .300 Whisper was originally built off of the .221 Fireball case. Now there are several clones including ones made from cut-off .223 Remington brass.

I have built plenty of them on the AR-15 platform, and I know at least one of my customers is using it for exactly what you are wanting it for.

If you want the upper to feed and function, I have had my best results by placing the gas-port in the "pistol position".

PT&G makes some pretty nice reamers-(541) 826-5808 ask for Dave Kiff...
Most of the whispers I've seen have been on 16 inch TC Contenders.....
They work very well on that short barrel .....

Blueprinted a Rem 700 and used a Shilen Match grade blank that I chambered using an original .300 Whisper reamer.

Built the Form One suppressor for it. A video of it being shot is here...

Shooting a 200 grain Sierra BTMHP at 100 yards. Best group has been 3/8" at 100 yards, 5 shots.

Whacked a 10 point with it up here in Pope County.

I use .223 cases. Cut them at the neck and resize using Hornady dies.

Suppressor

The rifle looks good. Your version is what I am leaning toward.

Are plans available for the suppressor? Does anyone know what the wait time is for the the paperwork on a suppressor these days?

Thanks,

Grits

Submit to Batfe, then call once a week , talk to the same person every time and it gets the ball rolling , Then it only takes several months. :)

.300 Whisper

Grits and the group,
.300 Whisper is a proprietary cartridge, a .300/.223 is not. A while ago on GBO (Grey Beard Outdoors) I was chatting with a group about making a Handi Rifle in .330W I was informed the owner of the name didn't like Handi Rifle and would never allow his cartridge to be chambered in a Handi Rifle. So I always call similar cartridges by the .300/.223. Same ballistics as far as I know. Just a different name.

The biggest reason to use a .300/.223 is for suppressed operation with heavy bullets. Heavy bullets are a necessity for the low sound signature, if you use lighter bullets you will get a louder signature and the sonic crack. Sure would be better then a unsuppressed weapon.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:
I have a .338 whisper with the 7mm BR cartridge. This is from SSK Industries. They have a Hornady die set (not sure, can't find die set and haven't seen it in nearly two years due to an auto accident). This is basically expand the neck enough for loading and then insert the bullet and close the neck. The usual trimming work and measuring should be done. I test loaded 225 and 250 gr. soft points. 300 gr. bullets are ideal for the intended suppressed operations and if you can make bigger ones, fine. With a Savage there is no trouble in head spacing due to the screw-in barrel. Only throating is required with your proper neck trim and bullet length.

There is a .221 Fireball case version in .30 cal and a more recent one in .338 on that same case. I believe they are called, in order cited, Whisper I, II, and III. Douglas did my barrel as a full diameter at the breech around 1" and 20" long with a 7/8" muzzle and recessed crown. This will be mated to a partly fitted Richards walnut stock with a modest benchrest forearm, rubber recoil pad, and what's left of the original comb. I am trying to figure whether or not to go to a lead round I can cast myself as well as weight and format.

I just got a Lyman 2 cavity 210 grain case bullet.

Its a gas check design, when lubed and checked its right at 220 grains.

I molded a few hundred last night and sized them. I havent shot any yet, but they oughta work.

If you can't trap them then you probably don't know what you are doing, no offense meant. I had a serious beaver problem, now I get together with my neighbors and we pay a guy from PA to come down once a year and trap all our beavers. The man is pure magic! He can wipe out a beaver population in a few days. Tried shooting them at night, hiring this guy was much better.

Suppressor Plans

Hello Everyone

My original thought was to build a bolt gun. Bob has convinced me that is the way to go.

All I need now is a good set of drawings for a suppressor. Can anyone tell me where to find them.

Thanks again for your help.

Grits

Trapping

Jkilroy

We use a professional trapper and he catches them by the boat load. My neighbors do not do much. Beavers are very territorial and new ones move in the the dead ones place.

As far a wiping out a population in a few days. You can catch most of them quick but there will always be a few smart ones left. They are the ones that cause you most of your problems. That's why we pay our trapper on contract. If you pay them by the tail, first you never know where they are coming from. Second, They will catch the easy ones and then move on someplace else.

You are right, trapping is the most effective way to get rid of them; however, shooting them is fun and it makes me feel better.

A fun way to take them out is to load their house with charges. Wait several hours and then go back and quietly detonate it. It you are lucky, you will have dead bodies, pieces of bodies, and some flopping.

I have been dealing with this problem for over thirty years.

Grits

We used to use buckshot and spotlights on Lake Nimrod at night. Talk about fun. Got $5 for the tail and $5 for the carcass. It was legal too!

Nothing like sneaking up in a flat bottom, hitting the light and 3 people opening up with buckshot.

Maybe not the most efficient way, but it was definatley different.

I've built one off a savage rifle action (just easier IMHO). Purchased Redding .300-.221 dies and was off and running. Of note, you'll need a special barrel twist for this cartridge. IIRC, it was a 1-7 twist .30 cal Douglas. It's not a repeater (as the action does allow for correct ejection). Most bolt rifles will be this way unless you use a rem 700 with a .221 bolt/bolt face (ejector location is different in this model). Since stealth is the main operating principle with this cartridge, a single shot works fine for me.

Just some more things to think about...

Thank you for the input. Who makes reamers for the 300 Whisper?

What length barrel is optimum for a bolt gun or an AR?

Grits

A quick search turned this up for reamer rentals.

http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=61

I would suggest renting, unless you plan on doing future rifles in the exact same chamber setup.

I went ahead an bought a .308 reamer from manson precision because it's such a great cartrige and I plan on making multiple rifles in that caliber, plus I get one more tool to add to my box. Dave Manson is the go-to guy for high quality stuff and for a nominal fee, you can send back your tools and he will resharpen them.

Just my $.02

Grits...

you dont need to spend any money for a reamer.

If you are just going to do one, PM with your address and I'll send you one with a go guage.

When you are done, you can send it back to me.

Back