What's new
What's new

sandblast alternative

consistent cleaning for a part that has spotty park on it. You see these are parts that were once parkerized and I want to recondition.

Glass beading, I have never tried it on parkerized parts, although it works well for anodize, black oxide, paint, and rust. Leaves a nice matte finish without damaging the substrate. I bought the unit from Horror Freight, about the only thing I have bought from them that was not a complete POS.

You dont want to use glass beads on steel. use sand or aluminum oxide. glass beads actually close the pores and act as if they are polishing. You need the pores to be opened up so the park and oil have something to bond to. I do allot of parkerizing and if the item is not blasted it hardly takes. The heavier the blasting the blacker the color.

For a smoother finish, i have blasted heavy and came back polished just a bit to knock down the high spots. It came out ok (this was on a bolt)

You dont want to use glass beads on steel. use sand or aluminum oxide. glass beads actually close the pores and act as if they are polishing. You need the pores to be opened up so the park and oil have something to bond to. I do allot of parkerizing and if the item is not blasted it hardly takes. The heavier the blasting the blacker the color.

For a smoother finish, i have blasted heavy and came back polished just a bit to knock down the high spots. It came out ok (this was on a bolt)

+1 on this. I've found that for the stuff we do, your typical playground sand works wonders. I'll upload a couple of pics of a 1911 slide I did recently and the results on a Sistema.

The key to a great finish is to get an even coverage with the sandblasting. On most smooth surface guns, you want the shine gone.

Mike

Has anyone tried Black majic sand, I did a SS 1911 frame with it and have gotten many complements.

SANY0766.jpg

Back