What's new
What's new

Which Reamer for 6.5-284 ????

Bob Anderson

Plastic
I'm thinking of barreling my Rem 40X 6mm to 6.5-284. I will be using Berger or Sierra 142 gr bullets. My question is, should i use the 6.5-284 Winchester or 6.5-284 Norma reamer to chamber the barrel ?

I use Dave Kiff's 6.5x284 Norma .297 neck. A loaded round is .296 with unturned Lapua brass. I like to turn .002 for a .294 nk (.003") clearance.

I prefer the thick necks, just cleaned up...and longer brass life.

Rays right again as usual, I had a reamer cut for my 25/284 Winchester by Dave Kiff and it will not allow me to use Lapua brass in it's chamber, it just to big darn it.... The next one will be cut for Lapua brass, you can bet on that...

Mrbruce ran into the same problem that many of us did back when LAPUA brass first came out. Winchester brass will fit in a LAPUA chamber but not vice-versa (unless you have a loose Winchester chamber). If your chamber is big enough to take both brands you'll probably find that the primer pockets on the Winchester brass will loosen if you use any decent load.

Best bet is to get a LAPUA chamber and use LAPUA brass.

Ray

We ran into the tight chamber problem when we first tried the Norma 6.5-284 brass in our chambers that were cut when we only had WW brass. I solved the problem by putting my barrel back in the lathe and very carefully bore out about .0015 per side. That was on an angle slightly steeper than the 284 case. The cut was only in about the rearmost 3/4" of the chamber. Use extreme care here, dial the barrel in very good and have a very sharp boring tool. A quick polish with 400 grit and it worked great. Later, I went to Lapua brass and it also worked fine.
We have since gotten new reamers that are ground for the Norma/Lapua brass.

Bob

You can probably see a trend here. Use LAPUA brass, even if costs a little more to begin with. Get a reamer for the LAPUA brass and loading dies too. Don't look back. ;)

Ray

I will cut the chamber with the 6.5-284 Norma reamer and use Lapua Brass. One other question, what about the new Hornady and Nosler 6.5-284 Brass ? Is this brass the same as Lapua or Winchester ?

Back