What's new
What's new

Oil Questions

Mickey_D

Stainless
I have the 46" limping along now. The main drive belts are lumpy and very cracked, but new ones are on the way, and I have been able to recover most of the idler pulley bearings (little ultrasonic cleaner from HF is actually useful) and get them spinning again. I would like to change the headstock oil (it looks good but all of the sight glasses are a little low) and I figure that after who knows how many years I should just change it and be done with it. The copy of the manual lists SAE 10 for the headstock bearings and SAE 20 for pretty much everything else. If I remember right, SAE 10 crosses to ISO 32, and SAE 20 is ISO 68, but... Ok, what should I really use, I know that oils have come a long way since 1946.

I have the 46" limping along now. The main drive belts are lumpy and very cracked, but new ones are on the way, and I have been able to recover most of the idler pulley bearings (little ultrasonic cleaner from HF is actually useful) and get them spinning again. I would like to change the headstock oil (it looks good but all of the sight glasses are a little low) and I figure that after who knows how many years I should just change it and be done with it. The copy of the manual lists SAE 10 for the headstock bearings and SAE 20 for pretty much everything else. If I remember right, SAE 10 crosses to ISO 32, and SAE 20 is ISO 68, but... Ok, what should I really use, I know that oils have come a long way since 1946.

DTE Light or spindle oil for the front and back spindle wells, DTE Heavy Medium for the main gearbox and back gear, and Vactra #2 or (I prefer) Vacuoline 1409 for the apron. Vacuoline is now about $70 for a 5 gallon pail. (Just bought 5 gallons last week)

As for the idlers check the sticky at the top where I posted a site with the required bearing for dead cheap.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=165505
Usually the only way to change the bearing oil is through the sight glasses, but a few machines have access to the back by a little plate with four screws. Of course this is the cheapest bearing in there, just a generic 5210.

Thanks Macona, I looked on the shelf and have ISO 22 light spindle oil, but no ISO 32, so I guess it is time for a supply run. As far as the idler bearings go, I have had good luck in the past "cooking" gummy old bearings in a mix of hot water and purple cleaner in a little ultrasonic cleaner. Let them soak in the hot mix for about an hour, turn on the ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of minutes, and then rinse well under warm running water, repeat as necessary. I use a little webcam for inspection to get a closeup view, and then lightly repack. If the bearing looks and feels good after cleaning and is not a "Jesus bearing" (it fails and the whole machine explodes and takes me with it), or horrible to replace, cleaning and repacking can be a good option.

DTE Light or spindle oil for the front and back spindle wells, DTE Heavy Medium for the main gearbox and back gear, and Vactra #2 or (I prefer) Vacuoline 1409 for the apron. Vacuoline is now about $70 for a 5 gallon pail. (Just bought 5 gallons last week)

As for the idlers check the sticky at the top where I posted a site with the required bearing for dead cheap.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=165505
Usually the only way to change the bearing oil is through the sight glasses, but a few machines have access to the back by a little plate with four screws. Of course this is the cheapest bearing in there, just a generic 5210.

Macona, where would I go to purchase these oils? Like at a Chevron distributor ? Are the oils sold under various labels ? Thanks

Mark,

Those are all Mobile products. You can get the Vactra and the DTE Heavy-Medium from MSC. I was only able to find the DTE Light in 5 gallon pails. I bought it directly from the local Mobile dealer at the tank farm. I suspect the Vacuoline is also a dealer only proposition. Vacuoline is the same a Vactra but has more tackifiers in it. If you search Vacuoline there is an interesting thread on the subject.

Cal

Macona, where would I go to purchase these oils? Like at a Chevron distributor ? Are the oils sold under various labels ? Thanks

If you have a Mobil distributor you can get them there, else you can order 1 gallon quantities from MSC or Enco, McMaster-Carr, etc. Personally, I'd wait for a "free shipping" from Enco and order it in then.

One thing I'd like to point out is that the old round dial manual called for a SAE 20 in the center well of the headstock and SAE 10 in the bearing wells, later manuals call for Mobil Light in both. Personally I'd go with the later manual and run DTE 24 in all 3 wells, but you can fill the center well with DTE Heavy/Medium per the manual if you want.

BTW: When I called Mobil to ask about Vactra Light, etc. I was told that the DTE series is the general replacement, and that they had more anti-rust compounds and so were better than the Vactra series for someone likely to leave the oil in place a while. I have a pail of Mobil Vactra Light and Mobil Vactra Way Oil #2 I expect to replace with DTE 24 and Vacuoline 1409 when I finally run out.

I also asked for Vactra Heavy Medium for the Series 60 and they asked me is if I meant DTE. On the pail it says gear and circulating oil. Sounds like it!

Any Mobil distributor should have the DTE in stock. Dont know about the Vacuoline.

Just thought to chime in. I just recently bought some Vacuoline 1409 and could definitely tell a positive difference between the Vacuoline and the #2. The 1409 stays where is should and seems to give a more silky feel. It also seems to quiet some gear noise in the apron. I like it. :smitten:

On the subject of way oil, I switched from Vactra #2 to Hangsterfers Way Oil #2 in my Sharp CNC (box way machine). I used to get a little stiction popping in the head the first time that it moved in the day, but it went away the first time that I filled it with Hangsterfers. I can let it sit for a couple of weeks and when I home it, it is smooth as glass.

Back