What's new
What's new

Mounting AC motor in frame of existing DC motor

jawsoflife

Plastic
I saw a few posts that sounded like someone else has tried mounting a 5 hp 3 phase motor into the frame of the reliant dc that was originally used in the 10ee?? If someone has tried it can you please send along some pictures or advice on how to do it? Thanks

I don't know what you mean by "into the frame".

If you're talking about putting different components inside the original motor housing, that would be a challenge. :eek:

My 10ee has a 5 hp 3-phase motor in place of the original, i.e. completely replacing it. The original back gearing was discarded.

Modern motors carry a NEMA frame designation, usually three digits followed by a letter. Mine is a 215T.

Download a list of NEMA designators. These give all of the relevant dimensions, including the diameter of the shaft and its distance above the mounting surface.

- Leigh

ck my post
cheap motor change over
I did this with a 3hp I had in the shop. It was quite a bit of work but it was cheap

mounting a 5 hp 3 phase motor into the frame of the reliant dc

Sounds like Frankenlathe reborn to me. :willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

If you took the motor apart, gutted it and pressed the armature apart, keeping the shaft intact, you would have basically the same framework that gt2ride used for his conversion. Then you could either add pulleys as he did (keeping the new motor external), or cut the shaft and couple it to a new motor, mounted internal to the old frame.

some pictures of my progress

So I removed endplates of the motor, pulled out the armature, and unbolted all the coils attached to the housing. It probably took about an hour to take everything apart. Then another hour the next night trying to get things clean enough to work on. Machined an aluminum moonshape piece to support the motor along with bolting some angle iron onto the end of the motor housing. Next step is to make a shaft adapter that will get me from the 1.125" motor shaft diameter to the gearbox 1.25" diameter. The shaft will also need a 35mm diameter where the bearing supports the shaft in the endbell of the reliant motor housing. Getting everything to line up properly is going to be a chore. If I can get over the alignment problems I think that it might work well. I spent a while last night trying to get the armature apart so that I could salvage the drive end of the shaft. I had no luck getting it apart.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 160
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 174
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 169
However you decide to align the motor with the gearbox I suggest you incorporate details which make it easy to remove and replace the motor without disturbing its hard won alignment.

I would install an intermediate plate in the old Reliance motor housing, perhaps on its end and also accepting a C-face motor (I realize this doesn't specifically address the O.P.'s situation), or possibly in the middle and retained by the old pole piece retention screw holes.

The first would be a simple bandsawn plate, finished on a large lathe. The second would be a weldment, possibly easier to finish on a smaller lathe.

After getting the alignment correct, the adapter shaft ... 1-1/8" I.D. to (probably 35mm) O.D. for the bearing to 1-1/4" O.D. for the backgear unit ... would be installed, completing the adaptation.

Possibly no need for a Lovejoy with this concept.

The backgear print which came with my '56 manual has the specifications for fitting a motor's shaft to the backgear's input, and this would apply equally to a shaft adapter.

lovejoy

will a lovejoy work if the extension shaft is only supported by one ball bearing? I'm not that familiar with the concept of a lovejoy but if it allowed radial motion on one end of the shaft then the gear mesh would be changing on the other.

A Lovejoy is a trade name; it is a three piece coupler that has a flanged hub on each side of coupler. The coupler itself can be toothed or fluted like a timing belt, both styles and several other brands allow mis-alignment. All these kinds of couplers do require fully supported shafts, bearings at both ends.

Steve

"All these kinds of couplers do require fully supported shafts, bearings at both ends"

In which case, a precision-mounted motor, either on an end-plate (C mount motor) or an intermediate assembly (conventional mount motor) would remain an option.

Only the overall length of the adapter shaft would be different, and the adapter length from the 35mm O.D. portion to the backgear unit's keyway or spline extension would remain the same.

Back