What's new
What's new

What sources are available for the flat drive belt?

G1K

Cast Iron
I just spoke with Connie at Monarch and found out the 1 7/8” wide by 87” long flat drive belt is $490.25. I’m not at the point I can justify spending that much, but I am at the point I do need a new belt.

What are less expensive alternatives?

I found an endless flat belt at McMaster, 1 ¾” wide, 87” long, 0.062” thick for $107 and change. The thickness concerns me, 0.062” is pretty thin compared to my current belt (leather) which is ~0.2” thick.

Who else supplies endless belts at a reasonable ($100 or less) cost that will work on the 10EE?

Ryan

I bought one custom-made to my specs for $10.00 + tax from Baltimore Belting. Excellent quality.

You must realize that modern composite materials are MUCH stronger than leather, so thickness is not a meaningful basis for comparison.

- Leigh

A serpentine belt is a good solution. They come in the right width and about every 1/2" in length, so measure your existing belt or a piece of string. Several members of this forum have used that solution.

Just for clarification the belt I need is for the DC motor to Spindle connection, it's 1 7/8" wide by 87" long. Is Napa going to carry something like this in a serpentine belt, or will I need to contact goodyear or other manufacturer?

I do plan on going the serpentine route for the spindle to feed box connection.

I'll give Baltimore Belting a call on Monday if I can't find a local belt maker.

Ryan

Ryan,

Sorry, this doesn't help to answer your question, it's another question. My 12-1944 round dial has a dual v-belt instead of the flat belt and I've seen pictures of other 10EE's with v-belts. From another thread I think your machine is from the same era and not that it matters, I'm just wondering if anyone knows when and why Monarch made the belt change?

Bob

the belt I need is for the DC motor to Spindle connection, it's 1 7/8" wide by 87" long

Try Motion Industries or a similar company that sells industrial products like bearings. I don't know about the width, but serpentine belts in much longer lengths are available.

Please let us know what you find; my lathe also uses a flat belt to drive the spindle, although it is not 87".

Just for clarification the belt I need is for the DC motor to Spindle connection, it's 1 7/8" wide by 87" long.
OK. I misunderstood.

My previous comment was about the feed belt, not the drive belt.

Apples and oranges.

Sorry. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

- Leigh

Back