What's new
What's new

Taper attachment covers

bongo88

Aluminum
My 1942 EE appears to be missing the covers for the taper attachment. It seems that there are two styles, the ones that I see for sale on Millers website (http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/products.html#monarch) which are two piece and one that I saw on a lathe a year or two older than mine that was one piece with a screw in the middle to mount it. My lathe does not have the threaded hole in the center top like the older one so I assume that is not correct and miller's probably is. Could someone with a similar year lathe let me know what theirs looks like or if they had luck with Miller's reproduction?
Lee

Hi Lee,

The single-hole version may be for lathes which have no taper attachment. The two-piece covers definitely clear part of the TA mechanism.

Just speculating. I've never seen the single-hole version.

- Leigh

The single piece cover shows in a parts list for for the 1939 version. Monarch later came out with a 2 piece cover that has stayed the same. The Monarch version the edge goes up. The Miller version, from what I understand, the edge goes down.
Harry

The single piece cover shows in a parts list for for the 1939 version. Monarch later came out with a 2 piece cover that has stayed the same. The Monarch version the edge goes up. The Miller version, from what I understand, the edge goes down.
Harry

That Miller fellow is a mite strange - how is his cover gonna hold my beer?

I'd probably get all busted up reaching over the work to pick my beer outta the chip tray. No siree bob, I'm sticking with the up tray.

Does anyone have a picture of one with rough dimensions? Where is the screw is supposed to be that holds it to the taper attachment? I might try to make them, it doesn't look like it would be too hard out of 16 gauge steel.
Lee

The Monarch version the edge goes up. The Miller version, from what I understand, the edge goes down.
The photo on the Miller Machine site shows the covers mounted edge down, opposite of the original configuration.

I sent them an email inquiring whether the covers could be mounted correctly, but never received an answer, as is typical of Miller Machine.

- Leigh

sent them an email inquiring whether the covers could be mounted correctly

I bought a set of Miller's covers that are designed to fit upside down for a modular that I used to own. They can be mounted either way, but they have notches in the side to clear the taper slide which look kind of strange when mounted up.

The covers attach with small screws at the front edge. The 1940 10EE TA cover is one piece, cast iron, and attaches with a screw in the center.

My two covers face down; no idea if they are original or replacements. In any case here are the measurements I took:

- Headstock side
6.5" long x 5-1/8" wide x 1-1/4" deep
hole is 3-1/2" from edge nearest headstock and 1/4" from the way edge

- Tailstock side
7-1/2" x 5-1/8 x 1-1/4
hole is 4-1/4" from edge nearest tailstock

My idea for making taper covers is .... cut up a 1/2 sheet pan. These are cheap about 1" deep and can be had in a fairly heavy gage. I figured it won't match original but it should be fully functional - and a bunch cheaper than the repro's.

Note that I have not yet done this but it seems like a easy solution. Anyway its warming up enough around here for me to be able to prep for painting, after that I'll think about making a cover.

Paul

My idea for making taper covers is .... cut up a 1/2 sheet pan. These are cheap about 1" deep and can be had in a fairly heavy gage. I figured it won't match original but it should be fully functional - and a bunch cheaper than the repro's.

Note that I have not yet done this but it seems like a easy solution. Anyway its warming up enough around here for me to be able to prep for painting, after that I'll think about making a cover.

Paul

Sounds like a good plan. If you look around enough you might be able to find something that actually matches the contour quite well. I have some dissection trays, the kind used in biology labs, that are almost an exact match to the contour. Only problem is they are plastic.

The other thing to match is the thickness of the original covers, since they fit in slots along the side.

Back