What's new
What's new

Portable CMM Services

REDDING

Plastic
I have noticed that there are some widely differing views on portable CMM arms (both FARO and Romer). We (Redding Industries, Inc.) are a service provider that deals only in FARO brand equipment due to it's overall accuracy and value. That being said, we do not have any strategic partnerships where they "buy our vote" for their products. We have evaluated several systems over the years and FARO has always come up as the winner overall.

There are several products on the market today from FARO including their high precision FARO Arm and FARO ScanArm. We have found that their relatibvely new FARO Gage and FARO PowerGage have better accuracy than they advertise. Let me explain how that is possible. In short, they certify to the lowest repeatable number. For example, the gage may be able to read four out of five times at 0.0001" but on the fifth it gives a reading of 0.0002". The arm is now said to be certified at 0.0002" eventhough the averaged accuracy is much better.

Keep in mind that when you add a laser scanner to any arm (FARO or Romer) you have to account for the tolerance stack-up and overall error of the complete system, i.e. arm plus scanner. When Romer originally advertised their new generation scanner head, they forgot to mention that fact, and had a lot of customers up in arms. I believe it was an honest mistake, but when your job is on the line and you pass a load of bad parts, that argument is of little consequence to your customer.

We believe that the portable CMM systems will eventually overtake the plate/gantry systems most of us learned on. I myself started out on a Cordax with a foot pedal, and used one of the first portable CMMs at General Motors many, many years back. Although they have grown into some great tools, the questions to ask are basically the same as with any piece of equipment with a high dollar investment cost.

From a customers standpoint, the best approach to bringing one on board is this process:

Decide if it is a cost benefit to outsource, if not then,

• Define the actual need and amount of use
  • Determine training, location, setup and operators BEFORE purchase
  • Review and evaluate every 6-12 months for new technology
  • Talk to service providers, other metrology operators, etc. (not the salesmen)

I think this forum can be a great place for exchanging information and ideas related to these inspection/reverse engineering tools. The folks who use these tools everyday are a great source of knowledge. If we can be of any help in answering questions, please feel free to conatc us. As I stated, we can/will give you a direct answer without being pulled to one side or the other.

Redding Industries, Inc.
Advanced Measurement Services
3-D Laser Scanning - Reverse Engineering
FARO Arm and FARO ScanArm Training
CAD Design Services
http://www.reddingindustries.com

For example, the gage may be able to read four out of five times at 0.0001" but on the fifth it gives a reading of 0.0002". The arm is now said to be certified at 0.0002" eventhough the averaged accuracy is much better.

Oh my,
Post number one and a shameless plug.:)

A realistic 6-siqma number might give you a little more creditability here.

Yea, I like the Faro stuff. Just giving you a little bit of a hard time. :cheers:
Bob

That's the idea!

Yes!! - That's the idea, to get some eyes on the topic. While it's obviously good for any service providers business, it's more important to 'set the record' to an accurate state. We have seem a few folks on here make some pretty wild claims about portable CMMs in general. That's bad for the arm makers, bad for the customers, and certainly bad for us given the shot that any credibility takes.

We have opened up the idea of a "Measure Off" ... and I think rather than have the arm makers do it, let's get some real hands-on machine operators involved as well.

Kind of like a shoot-out at high-noon ... what do you think??

Oh my,
Post number one and a shameless plug.:)

A realistic 6-siqma number might give you a little more creditability here.

Yea, I like the Faro stuff. Just giving you a little bit of a hard time. :cheers:
Bob

Oh, and Bob, per your suggestion ....

Performance Specifications
Model Measuring Volume ISO 10360-2
PowerGAGE 1200 mm (48“) sphere E (μm) 5+8L/1000 R (μm) 6

Certifications: MET (UL, CSA Certified) • CE Compliance • Directive 93/68/EEC, (CE Marking) • Directive 89/336/EEC, (EMC) • FDA CDRH, Subchapter J of 21 CFR 1040.10
Electrical Equipment for Measurement, Control & Lab Use
EN 61010-1:2001, IEC 60825-1, EN 61326
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
EN 55011, EN 61000-3-2, EN 61000-3-3, EN 61000-4-4, EN 61000-4-5, EN 61000-4-6, EN 61000-4-8, EN 61000-4-11

Answer

You need to get on Bob for that - I told him that it was a bad idea, but Nooooo. Thanks Bob :toetap:

Have A Good Weekend Guys!

You need to get on Bob for that - I told him that it was a bad idea, but Nooooo. Thanks Bob :toetap:

Oh, trust me, Ox hates to see a post from CarbideBob.:)

You need to understand the board a little.
We don't respond well to what looks like advertising from vendors, specially if it comes in your early posts.

Watch for a chance to help solve someone's specific problem before you jump in. Even then make sure you've got your flame proof suit on.

Just my opinion but you first post didn't provide realistic numbers.
Ox was right the next was way too much like the stuff one finds in a sales brochure.
Bob

Yes

That sounds fine by me -- the goal of us being on here is to learn as much as we can about what's really going on in the business. Not just what you read in sales ads (thus the topic).

Speaking of helping, does anyone know a good source for machining TITANIUM (6AL-4V) to 0.0001"? We are hunting for one ...

Back