What's new
What's new

Large ID Measuring

CatMan

Hot Rolled
All:

I've got a large disc here that has a raised edge on the outer lip creating an inside diameter. The size of this inside diameter is 435.8mm +/- 0.04mm. I need to measure this inside diameter. The kicker is the lip is only 4mm tall, so there's not a lot of material there to form an edge.

I'm currently using a set of 24" vernier calipers, but I'd like something a little less subjective. I'd prefer something that's easy to use on the line. And simple.

I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth, but if you have a height gauge tall enough, could you clamp your part to a angle plate and measure from the surface plate up to a gauge pin held against the ID? Or mount an indicator and just subtract the tip diameter?

Mud,

I think we're on the same page. I flipped through the Starrett and Brown & Sharpe catalogs today and that's what they're advertising.

We dug through the gage pile today and found something that would work beautifully if it were about 10" longer. So simple, yet exactly what I need. One end is adjustable and wedges in place, while the other is spring loaded and floats against the dial indicator tip. When did everything get some complicated?

Attachments

• Dscn0404.jpg
    Dscn0404.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Dscn0405.jpg
    Dscn0405.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Dscn0406.jpg
    Dscn0406.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 170

Back