What's new
What's new

Series 60 rigging points -- my new Monarch.

W_Higgins

Hot Rolled
Today I purchased a 16" x 30" Series 60 Monarch. I'm well familiar with how to safely move heavy equipment, but before it arrives I wanted to ask if there are factory rigging points from which to lift it, or is my only option to run slings under the bed? Judging from the photograph there isn't a lot to grab onto at the far ends as most of the open bed space is under the center. I just don't want to be wasting the truck drivers time reinventing the wheel in the event there is already a simple provision in place.

Additionally, can anyone confirm the weight? The seller listed a weight for it, but also had the same weight on a more well optioned 16" x 30" Monarch he had for sale. I'm guessing it was generic catalog data.

Thanks,

-Walter.

My '39 C 16x30 is about 7000lbs according to the build tag. A 612 16x30 I used to run went closer to 8000. Yours is in there. I'd be ready for at least 8000lbs, if it's lighter, all the better.

I wanted to ask if there are factory rigging points from which to lift it, or is my only option to run slings under the bed?
The operators manual shows a single 6x10 under the bed with a sling around each end, run up between the feed rod and control rod and the bed. The tailstock and carriage are at the right end of the bed.

Yama hama. I was guessing around 6,250 lbs., in which case it would be right on the borderline of my neighbors nice Toyota that I use. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink my unloading strategery. If anyone has a good suggestion on forklift rental in the 19375 area (30 miles south of Philadelphia), please share.

And thanks for the rigging tip. I'll ramp up my efforts to get an operators manual. Time is on my side as the dealer says he can hold it indefinitely until I get back from a trip.

My Series 60 13x30 is right at 4800 lbs; I wouldn't think yours would be significantly heavier. Of course, that is without chuck etc. And the chip pan is pretty heavy also; you'll want to move it without the pan. On mine, the balance is as far to the left as you can get under the spindle, with the tailstock hanging out over the end of the bed a couple of inches and the carriage as far to the right as you can get it. I have no trouble at all moving it with my 5000 lb Hyster; again, I wouldn't think yours would be significantly heavier. I loaded at the place where I bought it with a 5000 lb Toyota lift using slings under the bed. Be very sure you route the slings to not bend the control rods.

It is literally a five minute operation for me to move mine; I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Congratulations; I hope you like yours half as much as I do mine!

Travis

Yama hama. I was guessing around 6,250 lbs., in which case it would be right on the borderline of my neighbors nice Toyota that I use. Looks like I'm going to have to rethink my unloading strategery. If anyone has a good suggestion on forklift rental in the 19375 area (30 miles south of Philadelphia), please share.

And thanks for the rigging tip. I'll ramp up my efforts to get an operators manual. Time is on my side as the dealer says he can hold it indefinitely until I get back from a trip.

Well, I'm getting a wide range of opinions as to weight. This one is negative taper attachment. I don't know how the catalog specs them out with regard to weight -- well optioned or bare bones.

If I remove the chip pan what's general consensus on using the 5,000 lb Toyota with a few bags of Quikrete strapped to the back? Both the forklift owners experience and my own is that it actually lifts more than 5,000 lbs. Think I should chance it or go ahead and rent something? I'd hate to be under capable when the truck shows as much as I'd hate to find I rented a heavier lift for nothing.

How much of a gambler are you, or to put it another way, how much money are you willing to lose, if the 5000 LB'er can't handle the load? Do you know how much over 5000 LB's your forklift can safely handle?
You have at least a 7500 LB lathe with no TA and the pan removed.
Harry

You have at least a 7500 LB lathe with no TA and the pan removed.

If you're confident about that, than I'm not much of a gambler at all. We've moved 6,000 lbs with the Toyota before, so if the lathe was 6,000 and change I would be willing to chance it, but not at 1,500+. I'll go hunt down a larger lift.

Oddly enough, there is a banner add running for a Toyota forklift dealer at the other end of the state whenever I check my post now. Almost makes me wonder if the forum software pings keywords to better target their audience. Same state, same need, same brand. Pretty big coincidence.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Yep, I'm pretty sure the ad software is targeting; I get ads popping up for local stuff here in the hinterlands.

I'm a bit surprised that there would be that much weight difference in our lathes, but I don't doubt the collective wisdom and the catalog info. I never sat the 13x30 next to a 16x30 but I sure don't see much difference in them. Still, I'm not doubting it. A shame you can't easily try it before hand. Since you're having your lathe freighted in you're going to need to be ready to unload it, and it sounds like that means renting a bigger lift.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Travis

Yep, I'm pretty sure the ad software is targeting; I get ads popping up for local stuff here in the hinterlands.

Well, it's can't be totally accurate.... I just got an ad for fitness equipment!

I'll certainly post when there is news. It will be a few weeks yet as I'm going out of town and having them hold it until convenient. In the interim -- if anybody knows a good forklift rental place to call around here (19375) I'm open to recommendations. I already wrote the place in the banner ad to see if they have a sister franchise in my region.

One thing's for certain: compared to my 16" x 72" S.B., I'm not in South Bend territory anymore.

Walter:
The way that we loaded a 13X30 series 60 was to rent a set of machine skates, move it outside and hired a wrecker to lift it, then backed the trailer under it - worked very well and the wrecker was only ~$125 (and he had long slings). The wrecker that they sent out was capable of lifting 10,000 lb, and the operator had moved machines before this way which helped. This looked like the standard wrecker with two independently operated cables which allowed him to balance it well. All in all it worked very well and was an affordable option.
Brad

Walter;

One suggestion about adding counterweight to the rear of the machine for added lifting capacity. The 5000# Toyota is probably at the high end of this given size machines rated capacity. The same truck can be set up for a number of capacities, the factory will add the correct counterweight and a few other items to up rate the gross lift capacity.

One thing that will probably never happen , but you may not have thought of. You can add counterweights to increase the trucks ability. But that is only increasing the tipping moment, but it is still a 5000# machine. 24" load center . The chains, cylinders etc are still rated at 5000#. Actually the whole truck is probably rated for 5000#. What happens when a chain breaks or a pin fails. Things fall like a ton of bricks. Hopefully not much more than a great deal of property damage, I hope.

I know we all have done things on the edge or off the charts a bunch of times and have gotten away with it. Sadly, you read obituaries all the time about another industrial accident claims some pour souls life. I wonder how many times the deceased was a repeat offender and it was the luck of the draw that (his last) time.

I know I may catch some flack about how safe it is to work a machine over capacity, or that the inherint safety factor will protect you. All in all, let's not get hurt.

Craig Donges

Thanks all for the follow-up posts. Since then I've only just now gotten back from vacation. The comments are much appreciated, but I've already decided a few posts ago to go ahead and find another means of lifting. Interesting that Brad mentioned the wrecker option -- I called my tow truck driver friend that I send a lot of business to. He's the only recovery service I'd trust since mine is coming on a flatbed, I can't guarantee when it will arrive, and he's just around the corner. He's checking out the fully extended boom specs on this truck and I've yet to get back to him. Another option might be paying the feed store across the street to use their forklift if it has the capacity. The last option is rental, but the delivery fee makes it undesirable. More as I learn it.

-Walter.

Well, it's home now. Received it this morning. Had a thought a couple of weeks back that I could just email Monarch with the serial number to find the weight. They replied promptly that it is 8,100 lbs. Renting a forklift was a bit of a hassle just due to some incompetent people, but wound up getting the best deal I could find on a 10,000 lb machine from Sunbelt.

It will be a little while before I get it hooked up, but it sure is fun to look at in the meantime.

-Walter.

Walter,

Is that your drop deck trailer? Nice looking machine, enjoy it!!

Steve

No -- I wish. Pedowitz (big machinery moving company on the east coast) hauled it down from Long Island for me. Wish the building in the second picture was mine, too, but that's the fire hall across the street where I had to unload it.

Playing with it this afternoon and there are no big surprises except for finding two nice big inserted tool holders stashed inside the base! Also two chicken bones.... still trying to figure out that one. At the moment I'm doing a search so see if I'm smart enough to change the voltage in spite of the fact the wire i.d. tags are missing. Might just have to pull it and let the motor shop freshen it up.

Did you ask Pedowitz if they would unload it for you - I see their trucks all the time with a machine in the front and lift truck on the back of the trailer

Did you ask Pedowitz if they would unload it for you - I see their trucks all the time with a machine in the front and lift truck on the back of the trailer

I did. They wanted an extra $1,000 to do it. That's probably not unreasonable if you look at it in terms of their time and being able to haul one less machine on a trailer, but since I found a big forklift for about $400 delivered, I opted to do it myself.

Back