What's new
What's new

Micrometer Calibration

Glenn Wegman

Hot Rolled
Could anyone point me to a specific spec such as a Fed Spec. etc in regards to outside micrometer calibration?

I have yearly certified gage blocks, optical parallels, and instructions I've picked up on the internet from places such as Long Island Indicator, etc. that I already do it with, but I have nothing as far as an official spec. to claim I do it in accordance with!

I would like to maintain a record of such calibrations that would state that "Micrometer S/N xxxx was calibrated this date IAW xxxxxx"

Thanks!

Glenn

Google

Google gets almost a half million hits for micrometer calibration standards.

One reference is to the ISO standard for micrometers, ISO 36114.

I'm sure you could refine the search to locate ANSI or other standards.

Mitutoyo makes a gage block/optical flat set specifically for checking mics under catalog #516-931 (and other 516-93x numbers for different accuracy classes). The set includes four blocks used to check the linearity of the thimble, at .0625", .1250", .2500", and .5000".

You might use this sequence along with other lengths to set up your own in-house procedure.

The optical flat is used to check the parallelism of the mic faces.

- Leigh

I've got all of the hardware.

Certified Grade 2 Webber blocks that all run from 0 to a max of +.000005" and Mitutoyo optical parallels, set of four, .5000", .5062", .5125", .5187"

Just need a spec. to comply with!

Thanks!

Glenn

Back