What's new
What's new

Airy points - crystal pink granite

PaulM

Stainless
Picked up an 18 x 24 Starrett crystal pink surface plate (grade B) with stand a couple days ago. The rubber feet Starrett puts on the bottom are about 6" from the ends, the cross bars on the stand are about 5" in so the original mounting locations don't hit the bars. The previous owner had some rubber pads around the outer edge so it was not sitting on the airy points.

The question is how much (if any) difference will it make if I move the mounting points to align with the cross bars (5")? On Starrets site the True-Stone FAQ notes the mounting points being 20% of the length form the ends (4.8").

So does it make any difference? Also thinking of just putting a piece of plywood on top and then use the original locations and be done with it. But I was curious if there would be any difference (not that I have any equipment that could measure it).

Thanks
Paul

This is the diagram I posted in the earlier thread that John mentioned:

Surface%20Plate%20Supports.png

The mounting points should be 1/4 to 1/5 of the length of the relevant side.

The original Starrett mounting points are correct; the support bars are in the wrong place.

- Leigh

Thanks John and Leigh,

Understand now where airy points should be referenced. It is 3 point support as you state, and it appears Starrett used the 1/4 dimension in gluing on the pads. I won't change them - but I will go with plywood on top till I get around to having another set of supports welded on - the stand that came with the plate looks like the one on the grizzly site.

Thanks again
Paul

Back