What's new
What's new

De-magnatize calipers?

marinesteam

Plastic
I have a Mitutoyo 8" digital caliper which the jaws have become magnitized and now pick up every stray steel chip that comes close. Very annoying to say the least.

Is it safe to demagnitize these and what would be the correct process? I have access to a power de-magnitizer but thought it best to ask before potentially toasting a good pair of calipers.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Demag will not hurt them a bit.. I demag my measuring tools all the time.. Nothing more aggrevating than chips and fines sticking to measuring tools..

With Demag on, hold on to tool/part and move it over the field, staying perhaps a half inch over the plate. You will feel the buzz of the field.. I like to swipe over the plate at least 4 times, at different angles, so I can really confuse those North/South poles. LOL..

I've got one of those 6" x 8" plate demagnetizers that run $60 or so new. It's worthwhile to put a top cover over the plate: 1/4" plywood, rubber, or plastic. It will keep the magnet from grabbing the caliper and slamming it on the plate. Pretty much any non-metallic material that's sort of soft will do, and will not affect the magnetic field.

The gremlins like to wait until you've got a really expensive precision tool in your slightly-oily hand before they turn on the boost to the magnet and smash the instrument against the plate. It's just how they are.

Dave

Back