What's new
What's new

Calipers for CNC?

Does any one have an recommendations on calipers for working in a CNC machine shop. I've been using my calipers alot so I'd like to upgrade and get a 12 inch caliper for work I was hoping to get some good suggestions on what to get.

When you say you want to upgrade, do you mean go up on size range or on quality...or both?

Usually, the larger the range of a caliper, the lower the accuracy. That said, about the only 12" calipers I'd trust these days would be a Mitutoyo Absolute digital one. You can buy no-name Chinese-made, but don't expect them to be particularly accurate or long-lasting.

You would probably find that old Mit digital will probably be just as accurate as a newer one (assuming there isn't much wear or damage on the measuring surfaces). I have an old 4" Mitutoyo digital that is wonderful, within .0005" on gage blocks (someone wrote 1994 inside the box, I assume it was purchased then). Check it with gage blocks to see how well it measures.

With that said, I use my 8" Mitutoyo digital caliper, ip66 rated (I saw that the ip67 is now the same price i payed for the 66 at the time), and I would recommend it. Especially if you intend on measuring parts inside the machine. Wouldn't want to get coolant inside your digital calipers. The water proof/resistant tools are pretty nice in that regard.

+1 on not buying a no name brand. I have had good luck with Mitutoyo. The coolant proof models are a big plus too. If you watch for sales or look on e-bay for someone that is selling their personal tools you can probably save some money. I would not buy anything that is not digital.

Actually just last week I had an experience with brand new dial calipers....
One of the machinists bought them and they came to me for a calibration sticker. Opened to 3", they were .002 off; which I think is excessive for a brand new tool.
Brand new; and I had to put a "reference only" sticker on them. :confused:

I'd go with a Mitutoyo myself.

Back