What's new
What's new

Instrument Identification Help

niemi24s

Aluminum
Can anyone identify this instrument as an early version of the Etalon Ingage? This one has a range of 0.4" to 0.5":

P109240003a.jpg

There are no markings on this instrument other than the graduations and it came in a well-fitting wooden box marked with the Etalon logo with a 1977 cal. due sticker. It looks a lot like the pix of the current Etalons available on line - but not exactly.

Is it an Etalon?

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards

Looks like an Etalon "Ingage" series.

Etalon also made hole micrometers for Lufkin and others. Same very good quality regardless of whose label was on it. An earlier version of this gage also had a different thimble - tapered with a knurl.

I have a couple of these Etalon ingages. The only cheesy thing with them is the label that seems to come loose very regularly. For the level of quality that these are made to, one would think they would've been more permanently identified.

Looks like an Etalon "Ingage" series.
Thanks PeteM. The friction thimble, numeral font and finish were quite similar to those on my two old Etalon micrometers, but the absence of "Made In Switzerland" and "Etalon" anywhere on it ...well....I just wasn't 100% sure.

Maybe all that was on a sticker that came off.

Regards

Now all I need to do is figure out how to stone down the very slight convexity of the anvils without making them worse. Probably something I shouldn't try anyway.

You're right about not stoning them. The anvils are meant to be convex; with a radius around the minimum bore size. If there are burrs, that's a different matter.

I understand the "radial" curvature - necessary to nestle into the minimum bore size. I was referring to one 90° to that. A barely detectable convex curvature when the anvil's viewed from the side - an "axial" curvature, if you will. The kind that allows a slight amount of axial misalignment when settled with 3 thimble twists in a ring gage.

It could be the ring gauge, I suppose, except my make-shift straightedge also reveals the slight convexity (if convexity is a real word). But, I suppose, it's not too bad for an instrument that's at least 33 years old.

I wouldn't dare attempt correcting that without some sort of jig or fixture to hold the Ingage and guide the stone. I'd end up with 3-way split ball sort of thing! :D Probably something best left to a B&S professional.

Regards

Back