What's new
What's new

MariTool Bore Mics

coyotekid

Cast Iron
Has anyone tried MariTool's house brand bore micrometers? I'm in the market for some small bore mics, and as much as I'd love a set of Etalons, they're just out of my budget for now.

Thanks!

CBlair,

I appreciate the feedback. I'd settle for Mitutoyo's instead of Etalon's, but even the Mittys are expensive.

I'll give Mari a call to see if they have more info.

Have you bothered to look on eBay? I got an older model 0.4 to 0.5" Etalon Ingage in original box with setting ring last month for a measly US$90 - and the little pooter's in good shape!! I just love those 10¢ on the dollar buys when the item's OK. :D

Regards

Niemi,

The gage does come with a setting ring, however what I meant was that I couldnt independently check the hole I was checking with the mic. I dont have access to a CMM nor do I have any other mics to cross check what was done. As a result all I can say is that the action of these seems very smooth and repeatable. The click when you seat the gage is very clear and feels nice.

Are they as well made and repeatable as the more expensive models, I dont know. But none of the holes I have have measured came back as out of spec. And I really do like the tools and the price.

I seem to think these were made in eastern Europe but I am not sure if that is correct.

Good tool, good bargin, real nice company to work with.

Charles

. . . what I meant was that I couldnt independently check the hole I was checking with the mic. I dont have access to a CMM nor do I have any other mics to cross check what was done.
OK. Yeah, getting the same measurement on the same thing with a different instrument does give a nice warm & fuzzy feeling - even if both measurements are waaaay off!!!

Your best bet to check your hole mike's accuracy is the setting ring if you have sufficient confidence in the setting ring. That's how those things are calibrated and then adjusted in good cal labs. If the ring gage is annotated with 1 or 2 letters you can look up its tolerance here... GAGE TOLERANCE EXAMPLE ... and as your ring should be a "setting master" with a bilateral tolerance, it's tolerance will be ± half the value given in the chart.

If, however, your setting ring has no tolerance code it's probably safe to assume it's no better than Class ZZ or ± 0.0001" (for the smaller sizes).

FWIW, I've a hunch those hole mike's are made in the PRC. Taiwan would be twice + the price, Japan three + times and Europe - well, up to six times (for a Swiss made Etalon).

Q: Is there any tolerance code on your setting ring?

Regards

Back