What's new
What's new

Laser Calibration ?

scojen

Stainless
Good morning All

Looking for Linear calibration equipment to check axis calibration. Getting ready to replace a lead screw in one of our 5 axis routers and am concerned that the axis calibration compensation is going to be way off. I know that renishaw and optidyne are the leaders in this field but there must be others that have the products necessary to check axis & servo calibration.

Scott

Scott --

How long a travel are you dealing with, and how precise do you need to be?

I thought that NC/CNC positioning by counting leadscrew turns became obsolescent a couple of decades ago, with the advent popular-priced linear "scales". And, based on that thought, I'll ask if fitting a linear scale to your machine as a replacement to the leadscrew's rotary position sensor -- thereby taking the mechanical errors in the leadscrew out of the system -- is a possibility?

If not, and if the travel is less than 1 1/2 meter, Heidenhain offers a very nice linear calibrator, their VM 182, as an alternative to laser-based calibration systems.

http://www.heidenhain.com/fileadmin/pdb/media/img/208_871-27.pdf

John Garner

How big a machine !

John,
We have two Motion Master CNC 5 Axis Routers the Allen Bradley control machine is approximately 14 years old the second, 10 years old, has a Fanuc 15m control. The travels on both machines x axis dual tables is 60" y axis is 120", z axis is 48" with + or - 180 deg. in C axis and + or - 120 deg. on B axis.
Problem is I need to replace the y axis ball nut and lead screw on the AB y axis and anticipate having to do the same thing on the other machine. I have already replaced both x axis ball nuts and screws on both machines. Fortunately I did not see any major error showing up in flat pattern parts and only a small error when interpolating with all 5 axis on either machine. But now the AB y axis depending on relative position is showing up to a .032 error when changing directions and it is showing up on the flat pattern parts while we do not hold very tight tolerances on FP parts + - 0.05 these can be blended in as they are all plastic parts ie. ABS, LDPE, HDPE and Kydex not really a big deal but it does add to the production labor having to correct these problems.
The AB machine has a 9/series control and the capability to add axis compensation where needed the Fanuc I have'nt even looked at yet due to the complexity of the control but I suspect it has the same capabilitys.
I am not quite ready to go willy nilly about this but the production manager is starting to show some concern and wants me to make it right ASAP as usual.
The lead time of procuring a new ball nut and screw is the only thing keeping him at bay.
When we do get the new screw I want to realign and calibrate both machines and have a method of checking for errors on these old clunkers until I retire.
About ten more years down the road right now the chance of getting new mills or routers is practically nil. So I have to keep these running as best I can.

Scott

Back