What's new
What's new

Numerex CMM

Cole2534

Diamond
Hi,
I was browsing a local surplus shop today and noticed a Numerex CMM sitting on a pallet. I recorded the pertinent data, or so I thought, from the machine but have been unable to find any helpful information. This business's primary market is in shelving and judging by the way this machine is sitting I'm guessing they have no idea what it is.

Here is what I recorded from the machine's info plate-

Model 1818-10 MNL VER
Part 26-0158-1
Serial cmm880400084

The granite surface was very dusty, but looked otherwise to be in good shape. I realize that's no way to judge flatness, but at least there weren't any gouges in it. It was a Zeiss plate, that had been calibrated in '98.

If anyone knows about these, or where I should look I'd be greatly appreciative, I'd love to rescue this from a dirty warehouse.

-Cole

Check if the operating program is available. Manual or programable control, the software may cost more than the machine. If it is cheap enough, it is still a usable surface plate.
I was looking at one at a salvage yard, but the way they handle stuff the gantry probably has been damaged.
Dave

I'll ask about the software, but I doubt they have it.

Also I'd like to know if they know what they have. If they just think it's a funky table they may let it go really cheap. Then, like you mentioned, I'll have a nice plate on the cheap.

The model number indicates an 18X18 max part size. If it's working, it's worth $2500-$3500. If it's missing anything you have to buy from the manufacturer, it's worth what the granite is worth.

Numerex retro

WHERE WOULD A GUY LOOK TO UPGRADE ONE OF THESE WITH NEW SOFTWARE.I HAVE A SIMILAR UNIT.I DONT USE ONE ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY A NEWER ONE AT THIS TIME.

THANKS Gus

WHERE WOULD A GUY LOOK TO UPGRADE ONE OF THESE WITH NEW SOFTWARE.I HAVE A SIMILAR UNIT.I DONT USE ONE ENOUGH TO JUSTIFY A NEWER ONE AT THIS TIME.
If it's DCC, typically you just can't do it really. You get into so much expense it's cheaper just to throw the one you have in the dumpster and buy a newer CMM with software that is more modern. Even if the software itself doesn't sound too bad costwise, typically you will need a new computer card to actually use it, and the card is usually outrageously expensive.

On manual CMM's OTOH, you can retrofit to a Metronics ND1400

Quadra-Chek DRO Overview

DCC CMM's are pretty much hopeless to retrofit unless you have tons of $$$ to blow. Numerex was bought by Zeiss, BTW. Which was kinda like Mercedes buying Chrysler...except Chrysler still exists and Numerex doesn't. Zeiss is good stuff but the ultimate scary place to buy spare parts or software from ! :ill:

What does a manual cmm retrofit typically cost?
Assuming you mean the Metronics, I used to know but can't remember now. I'm thinking somewhere around $3K for all the stuff needed to retrofit a small manual Brown & Sharp or Starrett CMM...but now that Heidenhain has gotten in on the action, lord knows.... maybe you can find out for us ? :)

Regardless, not a bad deal considering one can sometimes buy small manual CMM's for practically nothing if the control/computer/software is broke or missing...just need to make sure the scales and probe are still good. Retrofit the Metronics and it's better than a new CMM. Even the B&S ones with integral LCD control were monochrome, iffy software and crude graphics....so with the new Metronics you'd have color touchscreen, better graphics and better software to boot.

I was hot to trott on doing such a retrofit a few years ago but then I decided to just hold out for one of the Helmel CMM's that don't use air... I hate leaking air !

Got the price today from a Heidenhain distributor. $7,000 gets you CMM manager software, a scale interface kit, and installation. You provide a PC to run it on. The alternative is the NV1400 unit, for a few hundred less, but less powerful and more difficult to use.

Got the price today from a Heidenhain distributor. $7,000 gets you CMM manager software, a scale interface kit, and installation. You provide a PC to run it on. The alternative is the NV1400 unit, for a few hundred less, but less powerful and more difficult to use.
"and installation" ?? How does that happen ? I just presumed DIY in the past.

Apparently it's too involved for mere mortals. I asked for a DIY and was refused w/no alternatives. I guess the tech has to be sure the wires are connected correctly. Calibration is an extra $500.

Other firms make CMM retrofits, do you have any others you've dealt with?

Back