What's new
What's new

Virtual mauser clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Karl

Hot Rolled
I've always wanted the Ultimate Mauser, so I started drawing one up! I know there are people that bash the Mauser design, but I still think it is the hands down best bolt gun design ever concieved in terms of ultimate reliability and built-in safety -- I just wonder how in the heck they made something so far ahead of it's time back in the days of manual machines and pencil&paper calculators...

I'm curious if there are any other Mauser gunsmiths reading this forum and what their opinions are if they were going to manufacture one with today's technologies? There has GOT to be a few wise old-timers out there! :D

Try making one with the inner C ring that has the left bolt race way stop at the C ring -- tell me how they did that and why no one can today! :D

Has anyone ever heard of Fred Wells from Prescott AZ? He used to make these from scratch all on manual machines...

cff47a5f.jpg

I still have one friend from MC, a superb person named Mike Wiskey, and I met lots of other good people there, but, I'll fill in the rest in a pm...

A gun designed around 1870, what a development history.
My grandfather never said anything about the Mauser. But he said the Luger in WWI was lousy. He was a machinist at Skoda, drafted into the Austrian army, sent to Vienna and trained as a gunsmith, and assigned to a jaeger btn.
John

Try making one with the inner C ring that has the left bolt race way stop at the C ring -- tell me how they did that and why no one can today! :D

I have no argument about the Mauser action. It is a good, stout piece of work.

They were, like any other article produced in this time period, manufactured in factories with large numbers of machines and machinists, each operating a more or less dedicated machine that was set up to perform one operation. The "inner C ring" would be a simple lathe boring operation.

I have no argument about the Mauser action. It is a good, stout piece of work.

They were, like any other article produced in this time period, manufactured in factories with large numbers of machines and machinists, each operating a more or less dedicated machine that was set up to perform one operation. The "inner C ring" would be a simple lathe boring operation.

I was referring more to the way the bolt raceway was machined, no so much how to turn the inner C-ring.

In a classic Mauser 98, a Czeck BRNO VZ24 (the action I have that I took my dimensions from) for example, most people presume the bolt lug raceways were broached, but they weren't. Neither bolt lug raceway goes "all the way through" the receiver and the barrel thread minor diameter is smaller than the bolt lug raceway diameter. Also, the left bolt raceway does not interrupt the C-ring as does the right raceway, which is required for the extractor.

I just wish I had one of the shapers they used to make those raceways, but one look at them old war-horses, if you can even find one with enough stroke to do a receiver, and that still works and has all its parts, is remote, at best.

Still amazes the **** outta me that they could do that kind of machining, 114-years ago.

Back in the day, Mausers, Lugers , etc. were made on machine tool lines made up of custom built, single operation machines. Each machine might have multiple spindles for multiple parts, but there was only a single or perhaps a few operations made on each part before it was moved to the next machine. It meant that hundreds of machines were used for a single type of gun.

BTW, the Montana Rifle Company bolt action is a candidate for the ultimate Mauser. Its uses the Mauser inner C ring and extractor on the front of the bolt and the Win. Model 70 safety on the back end. I thought Dakota was doing the same thing, but it is not mentioned in their catalog

RWO

If I am not mistaken, Montana Rifle Company receivers are investment castings, just like Rugers, which aren’t on my must have list. And last I heard Dakota, astronomically over-priced ($1600 for a short action (no barrel or stock) Brownell's dealer cost) unless you made your cash ripping retirees off on Wall Street and just want something you can say is expensive, went bankrupt...

Last edited:
Remington Model 798's - the same rifles once sold by Charles Daly, and back in the day they were Interarms Mark X's, but the quality has really slipped... They are made in Yugoslavia (make that Serbia per their website) I think on the same equipment left over from WWII...

Basically just commercial models of the original military actions with the same generous tolerances and minus the thumb cut on the left rail, stripper clip cuts, and military safety. They aren’t bad considering the price but they need work if you want to turn them into something nice.

Last edited:
Mini Mauser Mod 799

Hi all

I would like some info on when Interarms quit making the mini Mauser,
as I one came to me recently and it looks to only have had about 10
rounds fired in it. It is in cal 223 and I sure like the looks of it, seems
to be very well made. This is not my first Mauser, I have about 10 of
them in the past, but this is the first mini mod 799 that I have had.
I haven't shot it yet, I am looking forward to shooting it.
Can anyone tell me how good they shoot, or the powder they like?
Any info that you all can give will be of a lot of help.
Thanks in advance. Ed

Does your action say Interarms on it? If not, it's not an Interarms. 799 sounds like Remington nomenclature to me... Interarms went out I think around 1998...

Interarms Mini Mauser

Yes it does have the Interarms name on it.
Good looking rifle, can't wait to shoot it. I
hope it works out good. Never had a 223.

Ed

Post a picture! I used to dream of finding a nice Interarms Mark X... I bought one once in 300 Win Mag but I think a previous owner must have shot some seriously hot reloads because it suffered lug setback, which would make the bolt very hard to open after firing a round. I was told that some Interarms Mark X receivers were just soft (something that surprised the snot outta me) and I guess mine was one of them, but you'd never have to worry about that with a .223.

This is my .223: :D
49e19d72.jpg

And this is the best group I ever shot in my life - out of that rifle (I know... I pulled that one shot high and it ticked me off, otherwise it would have been a fantastic group)!
09SEP2008BESTSMALL-1.jpg

OK back to Mausers...

The original Mauser actions started life as forgings with many of its features already rough shaped. Final machining was done one step at a time on dedicated machines as I have described. The lug raceways were possibly roughed out on a vertical shaper or slotter and finish broached. There are a few books available that detail arms manufacture at the time.

If you are interested in machining your own action on manual machines, here is a link to detailed instructions including dimensioned drawings. It describes making a broach for cutting the raceways.

A Guide to Drilling, Reaming, and Broaching a Bolt-Action Receiver at Home

By the way, the so called thumb cut is not a thumb cut, but is for gas relief in the event of a ruptured case or primer.

I've read that article more than a dozen times and found it interesting if not entertaining. As mentioned earlier, a classic Mauser barrel thread minor diameter is less than the extractor side bolt lug raceway inside diameter (corresponding radius, actually – the barrel threads are smaller than the extractor side raceway cut), or at least it is on the VZ24 I have, so reaming the bolt raceway all the way through the receiver, as in a Remington (which is only a manufacturing-cost cutting solution), and as in the above article, would require the receiver barrel thread be interrupted by the broached extractor side raceway, or you would need a larger barrel thread than the standard Mauser 1.100” diameter which would reduce the receiver thickness where the barrel screws in...

I think they used a shaper to machine the bolt lug raceways, but I wasn’t there so I don’t really know!

Last edited:
One flaw in the mauser action is the bedding, looking them over I was not impressed, I suppose you can bed anything with a bedding compound cast around the action...but they are lacking sufficient recoil lug aren't they ? I was told there is a book on the mfg of the 1903 actions, and that it showed something similar to a large hook rifling cutter that was used to cut the lug raceways.

Bill

Dakota did go bankrupt, but was rescued by someone whose name I forget. They now also make the Miller-DeHaas single-shot actions/ rifles since Dean Miller passed. However, their own Model 10 single-shot is just about the best looking such action around. The website is beautiful, so somebody is feeding in some cash.

RWO

Nice Shooting !

I looked at my 223 Interarms again and was mistaken on the mod # being
a 799 as mine has no number on it other than Interarms Mark X on the action
and Alexandra Va. and of coarse Cal 223 on the barrel. I think it has a 1 in 12,
or 14" twist not sure yet, I have to check it out shortly.
Someone told me that it should handle 53 - 55 grain slugs, don't know yet need
to shoot it. I loaded about 100 ea in the last couple of days for it.I will post a
picture of it soon. Once again that is some good shooting you did with yours.
Thnks for the info.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back