What's new
What's new

Monarch 10EE how do you do long barrel

learning-curve

Aluminum
Hi everyone, I like the monarch lathe but I really like the 10EE but they only have 20" CC. how who you do barrels that were longer that would not be a pain in the pants getting it set up, I have some having me take notice of the 10EE along with other, I really like them buy I am not a full time machine and have to find method and ways to do some types of work,
can a longer barrel be done with ease using a 10EE?
I have seen collet closer and other parts for using 5C.

and could someone please tell what is meant that it has taper attachment.
is that just the tail stock? or something else

thank you for all help and replies

I am no help on any gunsmith questions, never done that work and I don't know what is involved.

Taper attachment is an attachment on the back side of the lathe (not the same as adjusting the tailstock over). It will drive the cross slide at an adjustable angle. Lots (perhaps most) of lathe's have this as an option. The actual implantation can vary from case to case but the general idea is the same be it a Monarch or South Bend - a search here or on the web should give you all you need on what a taper attachment does.

Paul

"I like the monarch lathe but I really like the 10EE but they only have 20" CC."

A 10 x 30 model (12.5 x 30 actual) was offered, but it is exceptionally rare.

It is also exceptionally expensive.

A 13EE or an EE1000 is perhaps more common than a 10 x 30, but these models are generally found in so-called National Labs (Los Alamos, Hanford, Oak Ridge, etcetera, the "usual suspect" nuclear weapon labs). A 13EE/EE1000 is a 13 x 54 machine (15.5 x 54 actual) and may be the most expensive toolroom-type lathe ever made. These are certainly the most complicated.

"how who you do barrels that were longer that would not be a pain in the pants getting it set up"

You need an engine lathe with a contouring capability, not a pure toolroom lathe such as an EE.

Toolroom lathes are intended for making tools, not for production, although during WW-II 10EEs were certainly used in a production capacity, making all kinds of super-precision parts on a 24/7/365 basis.

"I have some having me take notice of the 10EE along with other, I really like them [ but ] I am not a full time machine and have to find method and ways to do some types of work"

A 10EE is not intended for this kind of work.

Rather, a 10EE is intended for tool-making or for production of parts to exceptionally tight tolerances which are within the scope of the machines (10 x 20 or 10 x 30). Also, the "through hole" capacity of a 10EE (either model) is relatively small, in order to maintain the maximum possible rigidity of the spindle. Gunsmithing and similar trades require a through hole capacity which significantly exceeds that provided by an EE.

For longer parts, a "x 54" lathe is certainly preferred as this can accommodate most barrels while turning between centers (see, for example, Grizzly's so-called "gunsmith lathes").

"can a longer barrel be done with ease using a 10EE?"

The machine was not intended for relatively long, relatively thin workpieces.

"I have seen collet closer and other parts for using 5C"

Sure, the 10EE has a 5C nosepiece and either a drawtube or lever closer.

But, so also do most lathes which have a 5MT spindle.

The 10EE has a Jarno taper, which is standard for Monarch, but may be unusual for competitive lathes.

"and could someone please tell what is meant that it has taper attachment"

In the Monarch context, it is a patented device which allows the setting of a rate of taper, and for the tool to follow that rate of taper with high precision.

It is not intended for contour turning, as one might want for turning barrels.

"is that just the tail stock? or something else"

It is an attachment which is installed at the time of manufacture and which allows for setting the rate of taper to tight tolerances.

For relatively short, relatively steep tapers, the compound is used in preference to the taper attachment.

For relatively moderate length, relatively moderate tapers, the taper attachment is used.

For relatively long length tapers a "variator" attachment is available for some Monarch lathes, but not for the 10EE.

There are 2 stickies at the top of this forum's menu page; "Wreck Update" and "Another New Toy". Both of those lathes have taper attachments. In ANT it's sooner and in the Wreck it's later.
I may be mistaken, but I've always heard that gunsmiths/gunmakers like short spindle lathes. The Monarchs have long spindles, the 10EE spindle is approx 24", IIRC. Just something to consider.
Harry

"can a longer barrel be done with ease using a 10EE?"

This is a two fold question and for both the answer is no.

If the question is about contour turning the OD of a common length rifle barrel blank as Peter explained the capacity of the lathe is not long enough to do the barrel in one setup unless it's one of the rare and expensive 30 in. models.

If the question is about turning, threading and chambering a stock precontoured barrel blank again the answer is no. The spindle is too long (longer than normal rifle barrels other than perhaps .50 BMG) to do one of the common methods with the barrel supported at both ends of the spindle often called through the headstock method. On the other hand the work length capacity is too short for the other common method of doing the work with the chamber end supported by a steady rest and the muzzle end held with a chuck or spider.

Many folks doing precision rifle barrel work want access to both ends of the barrel to measure and minimize barrel bore runout with respect to the spindle. The configuration of the most common version of the 10EE works against making rifle barrel work "easy." It is possible but the workarounds necessary for the short work envelope and very long spindle work against "easy."

Another consideration is if you will require metric threading capability for your barrel work. Monarch gearsets were made for both the round dial and square dial machines to cut metric threads but they're relatively scarce and expensive. It's possible to make your own. The early round dial version is easier to install metric transposer gears in than the square dial versions. There are also inch/metric (I/M) 10EE lathes but they're relatively rare and demand a hefty price premium.

They are wonderful machines but they're not the best candidates for rifle barrel work.

There are some other comments that apply to your question in this old thread:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/fair-price-30-a-100642/

Back