What's new
What's new

Monarch AA Chuck

VicZannis

Plastic
My three jaw chuck on my AA is worn pretty badly. I can't get it to hold a consistent .005 anywhere in its range. I have read all of the posts I can find, and there doesn't seem to be any way to correct this in a satisfactory manner. I do have a 4 jaw, and it works fine. I am looking around for a new 3 or 6 jaw, but none of the suppliers I have found have a back plate with the threads to match my spindle. I measure it at 3 1/2" and 4 threads per inch. Is this a "standard" mount for Monarch lathes? Does anyone know of a supplier that stocks "older" back plates? Is it possible to take the back plate off my worn out three jaw and adapt it to a current production chuck? Any help would be appreciated.

The norm is to make back plates that have become unobtanium due to being so old.

The only "standard" about such spindle noses comes from the maker when they made the drawing, and I would expect Monarch has no idea where a drawing might be.

I did take it completely apart and clean it thoroughly. Nothing seemed excessively worn. The nose seems to fit the spindle well, and there is no runout when a dial indicator is set up on the outside diameter.

Back