What's new
What's new

Anyone set up their lathe for simple milling operations??

KnoLimitz

Aluminum
I want to machine some fixtures to be able to hold a vise vertical on my lathe so I can do simple milling operations with endmills in the the chuck, is this common? Anyone have pictures of any custom setups, or advise on how to set it up? I have a 1940 Monarch 10EE and love it!

While possible it is not really a recommended solution. If you look in the southbend forum you probably will find a fair amount of info - it is a relatively frequent addition to the small south bend's and other small lathes (I believe kits are available). However if you have the space it is far preferable to get a real mill of some type which should give you far more travel and better control. Check craigslist etc in your area.

Not sure if this really helps at all.
Paul

The best (in my opinion) milling attachments are those which replace the compound.

Most such designs originated in England (according to memory), and utilized a rather stout pillar.

Most were constructed by the designer using a pattern for an iron casting which was subsequently trued on the lathe using some very clever setups.

Some even had indexing functions.

One even had micro-indexing so that divisions by primes which were not a part of the customary indexing wheel set (which generally included primes and certain non-primes up to 49) could be effected.

We used to do it at my last company. Not exactly sure why but it was a process that was around a long time before I got there so ya know. Anyway we would use a custom cutter to cut 3mm teeth down the tip of forcep blanks. It worked pretty well except for being pretty janky. Had to adjust the tool holder height to change the depth of cut. I wouldn't recommend it but it does work for some things.

I made one for my 20'' American. At first I bought a 10 cent chinese job. It worked, but a totally gutless piece of shit. Made one with a variable DC motor and a B/P right angle head. Mostly use it for wrench flats on really big chrome bar that I don't wanna lift up and put in the mill. No pics of the one I made.

milllth.jpg

I dont know who "not recomends" things, I do things that work.
This simple set up on a EE works quite well for cutting slots, flutes or indexed holes.
Like peter mentioned, replaced the compound.
This has a small Hardinge 5c index mounted to an angle plate.
Many other set ups are possible, use the compound for the other axis perhaps.
DSC00984.jpg

Not exactly what you are asking about but I made a aluminum block that takes the place of my toolpost and milled V-grooves (with the lathe) in two faces so any round work is automatically on center line. Quicker than my mill for cross-drilling a rod or a quick key seat.

Tough crowd - but then I know that:)

My interpretation of the original question was to set up the EE milling function as the primary milling tool. Can this be done, yes, can it be a good solution for specific applications, yes, would you want to do this as your only mill (assuming you have the funds and room to buy a manual mill), I know I would not want that. Plus by the time I got through buying materials etc to make a decent set up I could buy a working mill here in the northeast, I don't know availability near Knolimitz.

If its your only solution to get things done go for it (I've done my share of weird things to get a job done), if you have the funds and room for more equipment I'd add a mill when I could.

Paul

I want to machine some fixtures to be able to hold a vise vertical on my lathe so I can do simple milling operations with endmills in the the chuck, is this common? Anyone have pictures of any custom setups, or advise on how to set it up? I have a 1940 Monarch 10EE and love it!

Go for it. Why ask if it's common? Every situation is unique. Milling on a lathe: if it's the best solution to the problem you have with your resources available at hand it's golden.

It's one of those things that's really appealing until you've done it. IMO, most people set up to mill on a small lathe once or twice, then never bother with it again. Still, it's one more thing in the bag of tricks, and there are times when it's the shortest path between A and B.

Thanks for all the replys guys! I have machined something simple to get me started, I will post some pics soon. But I have an extra 10ee slide the one that swivels, I want to mount that vertical to the the swivel base, and mout a vise to it for quick and simple milling ops.

Another option for some milling work is to look for a VersaMil (Google it) and mount it to the back of the cross slide.

Combined with the VersaMil index head (it indexes the lathe spindle), it does a great job of cutting spur gears, external splines, etc.

Monarch literature shows well-supported carriages for horizontal boring on the 10EE. A 10EE is definitely sturdy enough to do milling, the challenge is to build a carriage that has rigidity to match the rest of the machine, and to resist the forces generated by milling (which are not in the same direction as those generated by a tool bit in a lathe).

Back