What's new
What's new

off in the morning to pick out my new 10EE

scphantm

Cast Iron
WOOHOO!!!, i finally have a week day off. im heading up to a dealer that has two 10EE's in my price range to choose from. by this time tomorrow i will be a member of the 10EE club :D:D:D

I havn't turned anything in a very long time so im figuring that even a mostly wore out 10EE is still a 10 times better machine than i am machinist, plus it will be fun taking the next 5 years bringing it back into condition to turn .00001 inch consistently again.

with this out of the way, what to get next, a mill or grinder......

Like Shawn said - we need pictures of the new baby:)

Congrats your have a ball. On what to add next, chasing .00001 I suggest a temp controlled clean room;)

I think your location ;)n general has a relatively good supply of older manual equipment available so you should be able to come up with nice options if your not in a hurry. Might I suggest a old Taft Peirce model 100 surface grinder with the micro adjusters, good to .000025 as a nice addition to your temp controlled shop.

Paul

HGR is amazing. i showed up at 9 am, he signed me in, handed me a map of their "showroom" and told me to look around and remember we close at 5. it took me 4 hours to walk the whole thing. You name it, they have it, everything from big lathes, small lathes, polishers, 10 foot press brakes, CNC, mills, printing presses, pallet jacks, garbage cans, everthing. their "showroom" is 12 acres (so their website says). best part about the place, after the salesman handed me the map, the only time i saw him for the next 4 hours was when he pulled up in his golf cart, asked me if i had any questions, handed me a bottle of water, and drove off. I like that in a salesman. i got to the lathe section and saw the two i was looking for. both looked not bad. they had a blue and white one for a bit less money, but it had no taper attachment, no coolant system, but it was an inch/metric machine.

i opted for this one. 1963 model, taper, coolant. it was a bit more money than if i had found it in a barn, but there is something about a 30 day warranty that makes the extra bit of cash worth it to me. besides, when im done tooling up my shop, im sure the $2600 for the lathe will prove to be the cheap part. the bed looked great, one or two scratches on it, other than that, GREAT. the thing clicked into gears smooth as you can imagine, all the clutches seemed to work. the taper is frozen but i got under the cover with a flashlight and its just crud built up in there. thats what i think is wrong with the compound rest as well, it doesn't move very well but i think its nothing some acetone can't fix. its got a brand new coolant pump, the electrics look like one relay got hot at one point but the ram on it still moves freely, all the breakers and switches i could get to were free and the contacts looked good.

i couldn't get over how CLEAN the inside looked, i expected it to be like the engine block of an old dodge when i got the covers off and was shocked when it wasnt. i am going to need new belts, they are pretty trashed, but other than that, it seems like its ready to spin when its delivered next week.

i know nothing on how to identify the drives, i know this is right in there where they transitioned to something new. there is a single DC motor, complete with bright red shiny "equipped with Westinghouse" (born and raised in Pittsburgh, this makes me proud) tag on the inside of the left side cover and in my humble, uneducated opinion looks original. the cover under the head stock has a few big switches in it, the cover under the bed has a relay panel behind it that would make an old Bell Telephone routing switch designer proud, so i would guess its a WaiD? i didn't see any vacuum tubes but i didn't look now that i think of it.

the cross slide and compound has a lot of play in the screws. im not worried too bad, best case there is an adjustment nut and i can adjust it out, worst case i put some new screws in it. but even with they play, its 10 times more machine than i am machinist.

when it gets home, im going to pull the cross slide and taper attachment apart and clean them out and get them freed up and then hit you guys up on how to wire this thing in.

WOOHOO, im a very happy person right now! I must decide if i will call her Lucille or Zoey. im leaning towards Lucille, being a BB King fan and all.

im now a member of the 10EE club, do we have hats?

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 251
Thats a modular drive (not WIAD), easy way to tell is the big switch lever in the front (also I believe WIAD does not have the panel under the headstock the WIAD is there that pulls oout to the left). Anyway, runs on single phase, 2 C16J tubes and one smaller cheaper one (I think its C3j but not positive from memory.

Lots of info in a search, and Russ and others on here are an immense help in debugging if you have issues (I'll help where I can but do not have an EE background).

My taper was jammed up with crud as well, there is a thread with lots of pics on that.

Congrats again - have fun.

paul

scphantm,

As an aside, it's interesting to hear your positive comments about HGR surplus...if it's the same place that seems to get all the bad press in this forum. I love the part about the salesman in the golf cart with the water...sounds like you had a great time and got a machine for a fair price.:)

Stuart

Thanks Paul, that helps a lot. Being single phase helps too

Stuart, it probably is the same hgr in Cleveland. It's all in what you are looking for. If you are looking for something in real nice shape, go elsewhere. If your like me an building a home shop and want a cheaper machine that's in the twilight of its life and don't mind putting some work into before using, hgr is a nice resource.

Nope don't need an interpreter. Would love to have an I/M but I am not in the market for another machine. It would not surprise me is someone on the list has already made some calls and has it locked up.

scphantm - FYI inch metric machines are rare and very desirable as are the 30 inch versions (longer bed). With the holy grail being an I/M 30" (with ELSR and Taper) of which I think there are only 2 known to exist from Monarch although I believe at least one other one was created by adding the I/M gearbox to a 30"

Paul

Congratulations!

You might want to hold off buying supplies off until you learn what it takes to service the apron oil pump and check the carriage feed lines. These are really minimum service points on a newly aquired unknown machine. There are many, many threads in this forum about those subjects, exploring them is a great way to learn more about your new machine.

An "oil change" should happen after the previous two matters are addressed.

Another good service would be new wipers all around.

These aren't difficult or expensive tasks but they are important to a continued long life for your new machine.

Good luck with the new lathe.

Back